The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Excellent Alsatian Gewurztraminer

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

WTN: Excellent Alsatian Gewurztraminer

by Jim Grow » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:23 pm

Tonight with spicey Cashew Chicken I opened a 2005 Schoffit Gewurztraminer Lieu-Dit Harth Cuvee Caroline. Oh what a fabulous Gewurztraminer with full flavor of very spicey pear, just a touch of rose petal and excellent acidity along with thick viscosity. The fruit was so full that despite the %14.9 abv, it tasted a bit sweet. I love good Alsace Gewurztraminer and this was certainly one of them. Not cheap at $26 but well worth it. This is a wine that I do not think can be reproduced anywhere else than Alsace.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Excellent Alsatian Gewurztraminer

by David M. Bueker » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:31 am

Sounds lovely.

While I have had some nice Gewurztraminer from outside Alsace, I have never had one that approaches what the grape does in that tiny area of France.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

JuliaB

Rank

Woman of Mystery

Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:44 pm

Ohio

by JuliaB » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:21 am

HI Jim!
Did you pick that up in Columbus? I get over that way from time to time and would welcome a good wine store lead.

Thanks!
JuliaB
no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

by Jim Grow » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:25 pm

Hi Julia, No I picked it up in Ann Arbor just before MoCool at Village Corner, along with 5 other Alsatians. I was just up to Anderson's Genreral Store at Sawmill (actually just off of Sawmill Place and SR 161) and bought a bunch of stuff there including some 2006 Selbach-Oster Bernkasteler Badstube Auslese Riesling* ($26) some Yalumba 2007 LH Viognier ($16 1/2 bottle), some 2006 Losen-Bockstanz Riesling BA ($21per1/2 bottle no vineyard designation, just Mosel) from Trader Joe's, 2003 Burklin-Wolf QBA Ruppertsberger Gaisbohl ( $18 & %13 abv) said to be fabulous by a friend/reputable shop retailer at Anderson's, some more Jade Mt. 2007 Syrah & 2006 Mourvedre ($8) and hopefully my best find was the 2004 Murphy-Goode "All In" Alexander Vally Claret, normally in the upper $50's for $18.90. It has all 5 Bordeaux varieties in it. Everything except the Berrenauslese came from Anderson's. The BA came from Trader Joe's which is on Sawmill just south of SR 161. I also got a 2006 Buehler Cab. for $18 and some 2006 Paul Blanck Alsatian Riesling for $12.60. I got a little carried away but at those prices, why not. All prices are with %10 discount except the BA. Hope you make it down there while the discounts last. Where are you located??