The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Savennieres & 2 Burgs (only one corked)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Savennieres & 2 Burgs (only one corked)

by Dale Williams » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:12 am

A long Friday, and we weren't eating till late. I decided to have an apertif with a snack of leftover sashimi from Betsy's lunch, the 1997 Baumard Savennieres. Lots of reports of these being over the hill, but this wasn't showing really any oxidation. Still, not the most exciting Chenin in the world. Moderate acidity, a solid waxy note, green apples, and yes a touch of asparagus. Pleasant wine, but not sure it really deserved a slot in the cellar for 10 years. B/B-

Dinner was simple pangrilled/broiled salmon, a corn/bean salad,and pasta with pesto, peas, and spinach. My wine choice was the 2007 Madelin-Petit Cotes D'Auxerre. Pretty color, nice strawberry/cherry fruit spoiled by wet cardboard. Argghh! Damn the Portugese menace!

A quick dash downstairs for a replacement, pretty much grabbing the first bottle of PN that didn't demand cellaring I spotted. The 2007 Lafouge “les Duresses” Auxey-Duresses actually probably does need a little time in the cellar. Quite tight at first, and I enjoyed more after dinner than before. At first seemed a bit thin, some red fruit, acids, but not much body. Picked up weight over a couple of hours, much more expressive, in the end a rich blend of chocolate covered cherries, candied orange peel, and earth. Good sappy fruit, not a big wine but with real character. We'll see how it fared overnight, but very good showing for an Auxey. A-/B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.