The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1985 Langoa-Barton, 96 & 88 Orlando, 1995 Capel Vale

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

WTN: 1985 Langoa-Barton, 96 & 88 Orlando, 1995 Capel Vale

by David Lole » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:58 pm

After Wednesday's big dinner (see http://www.wineloverspage.com/forum/village/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=26421) I had a good friend over last night for dinner - we drank four reds, pouring off half of each bottle into 330ml screw cap bottles. I took no notes, once again, but the wine's were all outstanding. Sorry for any lack of detail.

My guest brought two bottles -

Orlando Coonawarra Jacaranda Ridge Cabernet Sauvignon 1996 - typically robust with at least another 10-15 years superior resolution to come. Still relatively tannic with ample reserves of leafy blackcurrant fruit. Can be broached now but will be better in a few years time. 92 points.

Capel Vale "Howecroft" Cabernet Sauvignon Merlot 1995 - a surprise packet. Fleshy deep set plum and blackcurrant underpinned by outrageously good cedar/oak amongst many other good things. Terrific balance, gorgeous mouth feel, expansive finish. Hard to fault. 93 points Drink now - 2015+.

I opened the next two -

Orlando Coonawarra St Hugo Cabernet Sauvignon 1988 - opened a little lean and mean but over the next few hours flourished into a terrific cool climate cabernet with excellent structure and length. Will live for another 5 years, possibly more. 92 points 12% A/V!!!!!!!!

By this stage the theme was well and truly established, so I went for the jugular and opened an older Frenchy - Chateau Langoa-Barton (St Julien) 1985 - thought this would be silky smooth and fully mature - to our amazement this was incredibly youthful with at least two decades of evolution to look forward to. Typically earthy, herb-tinged blackcurrant fruit with undergrowth, damp earth and a hint of barnyard. The palate has abundant tannin to shed although the wine is drinking superbly right now. I peeked at Parker's rating etc and this was a totally different proposition in every respect to his 2001 tasting note! 93 points.

Another great night of superlative red wine drinking!
Cheers,

David