The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Party thoughts on good wines (Boxler, Insignia, etc)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Party thoughts on good wines (Boxler, Insignia, etc)

by David M. Bueker » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:24 am

A very casual party of my "serious" tasting group last night. The weather was damp and cold, but the lobster chowder & ribs kept us going. Lots of good wines were poured, with very few clunkers (two badly flawed White Burgs - one premoxed, one either corked or just lousy).

2006 Wittmann Riesling Grosses Gewachs Aulerde
Rich, stony & very long. The fruit seems to be hiding a little. Perhaps shut down? Delicious nonetheless, but outclassed by the other two "dry" Rieslings. Despite ont being totally open this was very quickly polished off.

1999 Boxler Riesling Grand Cru Sommerberg (L31)
Starting to show some maturity, but still a bit closed in. It's like a flower that hasn't totally opened. Good fruit, maybe a bit soft from the vintage.

2007 Leitz Rudesheimer Berg Kaisersteinfels Riesling Alte Reben Trocken
Brighter & almost a bit spritzy with tons of youthful fruit. Very easy to drink too much of this. A joy right now.

2003 Chateau St. Jean Cinq Cepages (from magnum)
Very drinkable at this early stage. Dark fruit, supple tannins. Certainly not a geek wine, but it's tasty enough.

1997 Joseph Phelps Insignia
Predictably rich, darkly fruity and suave. This is in no danger of going downhill any time soon.

2003 Flor de Pingus
Another dark, rich wine that is surprisingly balanced for a 2003 from Europe. Plenty of tannin as well. Give this time.

1988 Chateau Rieussec
Honey, spice, a touch of volatile acidity, but the total package is integrated and drinking very well.

There were a number of other wines, including some I have reported on before, and a few that were quite forgettable if pleasant (e.g. Pacific Rim Riesling).
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

Re: WTN: Party thoughts on good wines (Boxler, Insignia, etc)

by Salil » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:01 pm

Nice lineup. I'm surprised the Wittmann was outshone by the Leitz (which I have liked before but hasn't strike me as a wine with the depth of the Aulerde). Had a bottle fairly recently and while it started very rocky and salty at first, it gained a lot of depth with air and had a lovely honeyed/tropical fruit character to it.

That Phelps Insignia sounds really awesome.