The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Open Mike: The wines of Greece.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Open Mike: The wines of Greece.

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:43 am

There has been some interesting and informative discussions of late relating to Greek wines. Further impetus to look at Greece and the islands as Kyrstyn is now living in Crete and keen to sample the local wines.
I have been somewhat of a fan for a number of years but certainly not close to being an "expert". Edmonton is rich in Greek restaurants and there are some inviting wines on the shelves here. The country has a big up-and-coming recognition and there has been quite a transformation in technology and vineyard management.
There is more to life than Retsina so maybe a few here might like to look around and see which wines might appeal. I will start off this new OM with a very nice Moschofilero from the Peloppese region.

WTN: `07 Klima Lantides Moschofilero, Peloppese.

Color. Pale yellow, not hint of green. Looks inviting, nice and clear.

Nose. Roses, mint and orange. A bottle opened 2 months ago also featured some floral hints, jasmine and melon. "Wet rocks on the seashore" from across the table. Me thinks Anastasia drinks too much Musky!

Palate. Initial entry thoughts were crisp, off-dry, long finish, minerally.
Light-bodied with a lemony zesty hint mixed in with some tropical fruits. "Jasmine and tangerine" from other side of the table.
Not able to compare this wine with any other Moschofilero but I have another lined up. The onto some reds I guess.

**** as an afterthought, could bear some ressemblance to a Sauv Blanc from west coast here?
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

Re: Open Mike: The wines of Greece.

by Tim York » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:40 am

Well, Bob, I don't have a single Greek wine in my cellar and none of the wine merchants I know have more than one or two. But, this OM has already served a useful purpose; I pulled off Google an article from the Belgian wine magazine In Vino Veritas which looks informative on Greek wine regions and styles, about which my current knowledge is virtually nil. I may help in to know what to look for, even if that is not the same as finding.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:27 pm

Thanks for starting this thread, Bob. Since arriving in Crete, Moschofilero has become my "go-to" white. Specifically, Nicolas Repanis from the Nemea region in the Peleponnese. I don't have any of my own notes on hand at the moment, but a quick visit to their website lists rose, green apple and lemon blossom as the primary aroma characteristics. Sounds somewhat similar to what you noted, Bob!

Sticking with the Nemea region, the red grape that finds it's most promising expression there is Agiortiko. I have sampled a fair bit of this from several producers to include Hatzimichalis, Oreino, Spiropoulos, Driopi, and Ino (mass production). One of my favorites has been a 2006 from a cooperative in Nemea. I'm still having difficulty with the lables, so unfortunately I can't be any more specific than that!

I have yet to try an Agiortiko I haven't liked. A website that I have found very useful in researching the various varieties and regions in Greece, http://www.greekwinemakers.com, mentions a comparison to merlot:

Agiorgítiko has at least one advantage over some other important red cultivars from Greece: it does not defy comparison to more familiar varieties. A poll of winemakers in Nemea, the region in which the grape is traditional and reigns supreme, solicited near-universal agreement that Agiorítiko compares most readily with Merlot. This is not to imply, however, too many specific exact attributes in common, but rather the kinds of characteristics one would employ in making decisions, for example, concerning where its wines would fit on Western wine menus. It is certainly similar in its range of stylistic expression and blending potential. At their best Nemea and other Agiorgitiko wines display "good" tannins in abundance. As a result they are outstanding candidates for both graceful barrel aging and carbonic maceration. Fruit and aromas can vary from medium cherry to dark berry.

It's been a very long time since I've had merlot, but it would not be the first comparison I would come up with, personally (hence the note in the text about not having specific attributes in common, I guess). I would put it more in the camp of a Beaujolias, but the good stuff...not the nasty Nouveau stuff.

The tannins come across as mild to me, and the acidity fair enough to make it food friendly as well as enjoyable on its own. I've found that I enjoy it slightly chilled.
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:53 pm

Yesterday I opened a bottle of one of the first Cretan wines I've truly enjoyed, a 2008 Michalakis Estate Vilana from central Crete.

Pale yellow, aromas of peaches backed up by some floral notes, a zesty, lemony palate with ample acidity and a nice, minerally after-taste.

On the whole, I haven't been overwhelmed by many of the Cretan wines I've tried so far. One exception would be Nostos wines, which are produced by Ted Manousakis and focus almost exclusively on Rhone varietals. If you're in a Greek restaurant in the States, you might come across them on the wine menu, as Ted is originally from Washington, DC and I've found them in several restaurants there. A little more international in style than what I usually like, but very well made in my opinion. Their 2006 Syrah is wonderful, although very "Rhone-ish", which may not be what you want when you're trying to sample uniquely Cretan wine!
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:10 pm

Now that is what I call a great opening to the thread! Thanks Kyrstyn and you have put forward a number of valuable points. I have to write down some of the names you mentioned and see what is here in my market.
It is always valuable to have someone on an OM thread who is close to the action so-to-speak! It can also be a terrific learning experience as others have already mentioned. Some forumites I can see digging around on the shelves!
There are a number of excellent links out there, especially relating to the history of the region. This will be fun!

I think this link is apt for this thread....>

http://www.greekwinemakers.com/
Last edited by Bob Parsons Alberta on Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:37 pm

Dr Alex Anthopoulos has given me permission to post these excellent thoughts on his homeland!

Gentilini Winery, Cephalonia (Kefalonia), Greece

This year’s summer vacation / holiday had the Anthopoulos family traveling to Greece for the first time in 13 years and more specifically, to the island of Cephalonia (Kefalonia in Greek), the largest of Greece’s Ionian Islands. Despite the fact that my mother’s side of the family hails from Cephalonia, this was my first trip to the island made famous by the novel and movie Corelli’s Mandolin. In addition to possessing wonderful and numerous small beaches with crystal clear azure Ionian water baked by the hot Mediterranean sun, stunning mountains and vistas, and delicious local cuisine, Cephalonia is also the home of several indigenous wine grape varieties, with the white Robola and the red Mavrodaphne among those better known to oenophiles. There are several privately owned wineries on the island as well as a local co-operative, and I was fortunate enough to spend a morning at Gentilini Winery and Vineyards located in the village of Minies, just six kilometers south of Argostoli, Cephalonia’s capital, and a 10 minute drive from our rental home. The winery was founded in 1984 by the father of current owner Marianna Kosmetatou, who took over operations in 2002 along with her husband Petros Markantonatos.

Although I grew up bilingual with modern Greek as my second tongue, it has been years since I spoke the language on a regular basis and I was greatly relieved to discover that Marianna was raised in England and that her husband was a Greek-Australian – no need for me to learn technical winemaking terms in Greek! Marianna greeted me at the tasting room and led me to the nearby vineyards, where we walked and talked about Greek wines in general, the use of native varieties, the growing season, alternative closures, other vineyard sites on the island, and about the wines made at Gentilini in particular. Later we toured the winemaking facilities and met with winemakers Gabrielle Beamish and Mike Jones, followed by a tasting of the current portfolio of wines in bottle and lastly of wines in barrel.

I. The Vineyards and Wine Grapes. The original vineyard in 1984 was planted with Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc, the former now being pulled up and replaced with native local varieties including the red Mavrodaphne. In addition to the estate owned vines, the winery purchases grapes from local growers both on Cephalonia and the mainland. Yields are naturally low and when possible, organically grown grapes are used to make the various wines. The grapes for the Robola come from high altitude vineyards in the VQPRD zones on nearby Mt. Ainos, the highest peak in the Ionian Islands. Gentilini make wine from the following varieties: Tsaoussi (native), Robola (native), Muscat, Sauvignon Blanc, Moschofilero (native to the Peloponnese but estate-grown at Gentilini), Aghiorghitiko or St. George (native to the Peloponnese), Syrah, and Mavrodaphne (native). Harvest on the island usually starts in early to mid August, and there is not much vintage variation. Grapes from the mainland (the nearby Peloponnese) are shipped over in whole clusters in refrigerated containers.

II. Winemakers, Facilities, and Closures. Gentilini employ two full-time winemakers (the aforementioned Gabrielle Beamish and Mike Jones) and have used various consultants over the years. Gabrielle lives on the island year round, while Marianna and Petros spend the winter months in Athens and traveling abroad to promote their wines. The equipment is modern, with temperature-controlled stainless steel fermentation tanks and a cool barrel room. The small bottling line allows for the use of natural and artificial cork closures, with all labels being pasted on by hand. Marianna did inform me that she would one day like to switch to screw caps for most of her wines, but due to both the costs involved and the lack of appreciation for this closure in European markets, natural corks are used for the top end, age-worthy wines while artificial corks close the remainder.

III. Markets, Domestic and International. Obviously, part of the annual production stays right on Cephalonia, serving both the locals and tourists, with the wine sold not only at the cellar door but also in supermarkets, wine shops, and tavernas across the island. A good deal is shipped to Athens where the wines are on the lists of many of Athens’ better restaurants and tavernas. The major export markets are the USA and Australia. I found it curious that with so many British tourists there was not a strong demand in the UK, but the cliché that British holidaymakers associate Greek wine with cheap plonk and Retsina holds true. Apparently Oddbins once sold the Robola in England but no longer. Athenee Imports bring the wines into the USA with the wine available across the country in over two dozen states. Winebow are one of the distributors.

IV. The Wines. While I did not take formal tasting notes, here are my impressions of the wines I tasted at the winery, both in bottle and from the barrel. All the wines tasted are from the 2008 vintages unless otherwise noted, with prices in the USA at retail from the low to mid teens in dollars, with the upper end red cuvees retailing in the $40+ range.
1. Aspro Classic – The Greek word for “white” is aspro, and this fresh and vibrant white wine is made from Tsaoussi, Robola, and Sauvignon Blanc (I do not recall whether or not there is some Muscat in the blend as well). Floral and citrus aromas and flavors along with hints of melon, a steely mineral presence, and crisp acidity make this a perfect wine to serve with olive-oil based appetizers and feta cheese.
2. Gentilini Rose—Marianna’s eyes lit up as she told me of the unusual way this wine, made entirely from estate-grown Moschofilero, is vinified. This variety is actually pink-skinned, like the better known Gewurztraminer grape. Instead of making a rose wine by using the “first bleed” from red grapes or from limited contact with the skins of red grapes during fermentation, the wine here has extended contact with the pink skin resulting in an aromatic but bone dry rose wine. Very aromatic and floral, with hints of spice, some tannins, and good acidity. Again, this would pair well with Mediterranean appetizers or seafood.
3. Unique Blend Red – From the 2007 vintage, made from 60% Aghiorghitiko (St. George) grapes from Nemea on the Peloponnese with the remainder coming from estate-grown Syrah and locally grown Mavrodaphne and aged in French oak barrels. I liken this wine to a cross of red Chinon with a hearty Southern Rhone. Sour cherries, dark berry fruits, spices, the Greek equivalent of garrigue, and chewy tannins, with noted oak vanillins. Perfect BBQ wine!
4. Robola of Cephalonia (regular cuvee) – Made from grapes grown at high altitude, naturally low yielding vineyards on the slopes of Mt. Ainos within the designated VQPRD zones. This native variety makes for a complex yet refreshing dry white wine, with citrus and floral aromas and flavors, a minerally and at times astringent mouthfeel, and enough acidity to keep it balanced. Unoaked, it pairs well with white meat, pasta, and seafood dishes.
5. Robola of Cephalonia (special cuvee) – Made in very limited quantities from a single vineyard high up on Mt. Ainos, this wine takes things up a notch and has 20% of the juice aged in French oak barrels – just enough to add some complexity and to smooth out the astringency, but not so much as to taste vanillins or honey. The last bottles were sold during our stay on the island and I can only hope that enough was exported to the USA that I could buy some here!
6. Syrah / Mavrodaphne 2007 – A blend of 90% estate grown Syrah and 10% of locally sourced and estate grown Mavrodaphne, aged for 12 months in various types of French oak barrels. This wine combines the pepperiness of a Northern Rhone Syrah with the garrigue and dark berry flavors of a Mediterranean Syrah along with hints of mint and eucalyptus from the Mavrodaphne. Obviously still young and tannic, this wine needs a few years in the cellar and should age for ten years or more.
7. Barrel sample Mavrodaphne / Syrah blend – As the more recently planted estate grown Mavrodaphne vines start to mature and yield good fruit, there will be a blend of 90% Mavrodaphne and 10% Syrah released. This wine will show more of a typical red Greek wine profile of dark fruit, iodine, wild herbs and spices, mint, with somewhat softer tannins and a rich mocha finish.
8. Barrel sample 100% Syrah in high end French oak – An ultra-cuvee Syrah, now aging in the same barrels as used by high end Northern Rhone producers for their top cuvees. Made with estate grown grapes, this is a massive wine with loads of jammy fruit and muscular tannins. I suspect that when bottled and aged, this wine will be a ringer for a warm vintage Hermitage or Cornas.

V. The Future. As indicated earlier, Gentilini are expanding their estate holdings of Mavrodaphne and are attempting to secure long term contracts with Robola growers elsewhere on the island, including those for future single-vineyard wines. As screw caps gain wider acceptance I suspect there will be a switch for many of the wines to this closure. While the USA export market remains strong despite the relatively weak dollar and the recession, I detected a sense of optimism in my conversations with Marianna that a UK market presence will eventually establish itself as well.
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:10 pm

Thanks to you and Dr. Alex for that post! Several things in it caught my attention:

1) Vintage variation (or lack thereof). Seems to be a similar theme here in Crete, although the islands are quite far from each other. I imagine that is probably true of most islands, although I'd guess that the mainland sees a bit more variation. Something else to google!!!

2) The description of their Syrah sounds very similar to what I've tasted of Nostos/Manousakis. I'm guessing a lot of the similarties to the Rhone come from similar altitude, but wonder what accounts for the rest? The islands are obviously a Meditteranean climate, whereas the Rhone contains both...continental in the north and meditteranean in the south. I wonder how much technology plays into the similarities and how much is climate/terrioir based?

3) I'm so glad to finally understand where Moschofilero Rose comes from! I've had a few bottles of this and was confused as to how my go-to white could also produce a pink.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:46 pm

Alex sure knows his stuff, think he is on a number of forums. I found this other link for those who wanna learn more!

http://www.allaboutgreekwine.com/

*****I always considered Boutari to be an entry-level producer but am told there are a number of high end wines out there. Probably in Athens restaurants!
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:54 pm

WTN: `03 Monemvasios Red.

Blend of Agiorgitko and Mavroudi, $8 by the glass in local Greek restaurant (earlier this evening). Medium garnet color, nose was earthy, musty, red berry fruits. I thought it was slightly corked but waiter said "that is the style". I was not going to argue!
The palate was so-so and no apparent corkyness on the finish. Redcurrant, cherry flavors, soft tannins. Not my kinda red, not a lot of style here. Needless to say, I thought questionable bottle?
Food was good though, spit-roasted lamb with lemon braised potatoes.
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:09 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:WTN: `03 Monemvasios Red.

Blend of Agiorgitko and Mavroudi, $8 by the glass in local Greek restaurant (earlier this evening). Medium garnet color, nose was earthy, musty, red berry fruits. I thought it was slightly corked but waiter said "that is the style". I was not going to argue!
The palate was so-so and no apparent corkyness on the finish. Redcurrant, cherry flavors, soft tannins. Not my kinda red, not a lot of style here. Needless to say, I thought questionable bottle?
Food was good though, spit-roasted lamb with lemon braised potatoes.

Actually, Bob...that sounds a lot like almost every Agiortiko I've had so far. The "earthy" that you describe is one of the things that I like about it! I'm one of those people who is really bad at noticing TCA unless it's aggregious (whereas I can usually tell if oxidation has occurred, or high levels of ethyl acetate). I've been at many a tasting where they'll open a bottle and I'll think "Hmmmm, this has a nice, earthy, dusty smell...I LIKE it!" only to have someone call corked moments later :?

Anyway, back to the Agiortiko...I've had some that are a bit more complex than others, and as the greekwinemakers site mentions, a lot depends upon whether we're talking low or high yeilds.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:21 pm

Well, thanks for the answer Kyrstyn. Seems like we are on the same page here, simple minds think alike eh!!
I have to say it was not corked on the aftertaste but there was something on the nose. May have to retaste when I visit Leos again!
I have hit a snag here, most of the Greek offerings in my area are so-so, have emailed Tannin Fine Wines who have a good portfolio...."where can I find the good stuff" I asked.
I really thought there was a much better selection hereabouts.
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:05 am

The snag I'm running into is that it's just me here, so when I open a bottle it takes me 2-3 nights to finish it (if it's good, I pop a cork in it and stick it in the fridge, red or white). So I can only report on one wine every three days or so, unless I decided to just let them go after opening, which I cannot afford to do :) I've got a rose made from Moschofilero on tap for this evening, so I'll post something then.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:02 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Alex sure knows his stuff, think he is on a number of forums. I found this other link for those who wanna learn more!

Bob, the Gentilini Robolla is a wine Tom Hill has posted quite admiringly of in the past. I found and enjoyed a bottle once, too. I've in general actually been more impressed with the Greek whites than reds (there's a significant Greek community in my town, thus the local interest in the wines though typically we don't see anything higher end).
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:10 pm

Hi Jenise, I think there have been some terrific improvements in their white wines too. I used to visit Greece often in the 90s with mother, Santorini was top of the must-visit list! I should sample the new Boutari Santorini white.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:14 pm

Bob, your Mike caused me to dig out the couple Greek wines I had in my cellar leftover from a Greek tasting we did a few years ago. The first two, cheapie Greek Cabernets in the under $10 category were so godawful we fed them to the camellias without a backward glance to note the names. The third was better:

2003 Alpha Estate Xinomavro "Unfiltered", appellation Amyndeon, Florina, Greece
I remember this wine from our tasting two years ago: it was big, burly and modern with a lot of black fruit. It needed time. It's calmed down a lot since, and perhaps we even gave it too much time because though it's more relaxed now, it doesn't have as much character as the younger wine did and secondary development of the good kind hasn't stepped up to fill the gaps. It's now just a moderately good red wine with relaxed tannins and indistinct, smooth red fruit flavors that come closest, among more familiar grape varieties, to a modestly priced California merlot. Definitely not 'world class' and not interesting enough for me to seek out again; but I'll admit we had no difficulty finishing the bottle with our chicken pot pie dinner.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:18 pm

Would you have guessed Greece if served blind?!!!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:38 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Would you have guessed Greece if served blind?!!!

No, but then I don't have a sense of what Greece categorically tastes like. I'd have probably thought, as I inferred, a 2-3 year old (vs. brand new release) $10-15 ish California merlot.
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:59 pm

WTN: Meliasto Spiropoulos Rose' 2008: I had a glass of this with some leftover sausages, potatoes and carrots. It was nicely structured with good, minerally acidity and some tannic notes, but I'm having trouble coming up with any significant other notes on it. Definitely some floral and caramel notes on the nose. Made from primarily Moschofilero, but with a small amount of Agiortiko blended in. I really enjoy rose's because of their versatility, but for some reason I've always had trouble describing them. This one is no different, but I will say that I like it as well as I've ever liked any rose and would buy it again (in fact, I have...this is the second bottle I've bought). PS: Is there anyone who can tell me how to put the accent mark over the "e"? I've been trying to figure that out for years now...

WTN: Rapsani Tsantali 2005: A blend of Xinomavro, Stavroto and Krassato. First impression reminded me of a Bordeaux, but I'm not sure which side?? Black fruit, cedar, dusty library, and a hint of leather somewhere in there. On the palate there is black cherry and iron. Slightly hot, may be the temp at which I served it (the alchohol is 13.5%, but it felt like more. My house is about 80F, so it probably exacerbated it). Nice tannins, but they don't stick around. Acidity noteable. I actually really liked this wine, it was one of the more interesting I've had here so far. From Thrace, it took the gold in the 2008 Concours Mondial in Brussels and the International Wine Competition in Thesaloniki.
no avatar
User

Dan Smothergill

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:24 pm

Syracuse, NY

A Tasting

by Dan Smothergill » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:11 pm

OK Greek wine folks, I'm intrigued. Suppose you were planning a tasting of 4 whites and 4 reds for a group somewhat above average in wine tasting experience. The budget is + or - $120 for all 8 and they should be reasonably available in the US. What would the tasting menu look like?
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:25 am

Dan.

1) Are you doing stand-up food/BBQ/sitdown round the swimming pool and bocce ball?
2) Any good Greek restaurants nearby for the catering?!!
3) Who is invited from this place!

Kyrstyn.

I have a program set up here on my confuser but cannot find it!
I will post on Friends and Fun here. Someone will answer.

edit......Just found this.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=17567
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:42 am

Dan - If it was me, I'd try to dig up the following (I won't recommend specific producers because I have no idea what might be available where you are, although NY is pretty good for being able to find a lot...at least parts of NY):

Whites:

Savatiano These used to have a pretty bad reputation for being really bland, but techniques have improved and I think you can find this blended with some more powerful grapes to come up with a good starter (for me it's like the pinot grigio of Greek wines).
Moschofilero (from Nemea if possible).
Assyrtiko from Santorini

A Rosé of any kind, just to break it up between the whites and reds. I do like what comes from Moschofilero, although I would be intrigued if you could find something made from Xinomavro.

Reds:

Agiortiko from Nemea
Xinomavro from Naousa
An international variety made somewhere in Greece (If you can find the Nostos brand, they do a very nice job with indigenous Rhone varieties).

A dessert wine OR if you wanted to get crazy, you could try to find some Raki (it really is a wonderful digestif, if a bit harsh going down, and it doesn't make you drunk in small quantities, even after drinking wine). Samos is a label that I see here a lot...have yet to try them but you'd probably be able to find some.
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:56 am

Bob, thanks for the link to the thread. I'm encountering some of the same difficulties Gary and James and others did, but I'll read through more thoroughly and try the downloads suggested when I get a sec. In the meantime, I'll keep cutting and pasting from wine websites:-) Thanks again!!
no avatar
User

Dan Smothergill

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:24 pm

Syracuse, NY

Tastings

by Dan Smothergill » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:08 am

Thanks Kyrstyn. We take turns at our AWS hosting tastings. A couple tried putting on a Greek tasting last year but had trouble finding wines that were both good and not beyond the budget. I'll pass along your remarks to them.

Members can invite guests Bob. Let me know when your dog team will be passing this way. We sit at tables, have food that a member has prepared/bought to go with the wines, and rate and discuss the wines.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:39 pm

WTN: Nemea 2006 - Cooperative Winery of Nemea - Alc.13% - (€6) made from Agiorgitiko 100%.

Picked up at our local supermarket, I had no idea what to expect. Most likely a gutsy high alcohol and sweet fruited Mediterranean wine or, much worse, the same "civilised" by "international" woody treatment. In the event, it was neither.

C: Light/medium intensity ruby
N: An attractive combination of discreet red fruit and light spices with a dash of vanilla.
P: Light/medium bodied, maybe a touch dilute, but quite mouth-filling with attractively spicy notes and some old book touches, some delicate fruit and light tannic structure. The flavour profile was quite distinctive and overall effect was quite elegant, if unexciting. I can imagine that wines with this character combined with a bit more heft and concentration may be quite fine. Germaine liked it; 15/20+ QPR.

Here is an article about Nemea, which strikes me as quite knowledgeable http://www.kerasma.gr/default.asp?entry ... 8&langID=2 .
Tim York
Next