The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Miscellaneous August notes

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David from Switzerland

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:03 am

WTN: Miscellaneous August notes

by David from Switzerland » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:50 pm

Clos des Papes Châteauneuf-du-Pape 2006
Another half bottle thanks to Remo. Every bottle seems fractionally more closed than the last now, but the sweet Kirsch fruit and some roasted Provençal herbs still make an appearance with an hour’s airing. Nice acids for a 2006, nicely firm tannin. The 15.2% alcohol seemed well-integrated this time, nicely balanced and fairly long finish, too. Rating: 92+/93(+?)

Domaine du Vieux Télégraphe Châteauneuf-du-Pape La Crau 2007
Tasted in passing at the importer’s. A blend of 65% Grenache, 15% each of Mourvèdre and Syrah etc. Full ruby-black colour. Quite complex, distinctly Port-like fruit with freshly cracked black, grey and green pepper. Less animal fur and ink than the 1998, which was more powerful but less accessible at the same stage of its development. Medium-plus body, sound alcohol. Not too tannic, sufficiently fresh for a 2007 (others are livelier). Quite long on the finish. Must admit I had expected more, planning to retaste this soon. But probably the best Vieux Télégraphe since 1998, the 2007 has more grip, and is more complex and precise than the 2005. Rating: 91+?

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Miscellaneous August notes

by David M. Bueker » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:08 pm

Given the "vintage of the vintages of the century" hype that surrounds 2007 I would have expected more from the Telegraphe as well. Your "Port-like" comment gives me a bit of pause, as I prefer my Chateauneuf fresher, yet you then add comments about freshness. I will have to broach a bottle in the near term just to gauge the wine for myself.

As for Clos des Papes, the US pricing has taken that one completely off my radar screen.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

David from Switzerland

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:03 am

Re: WTN: Miscellaneous August notes

by David from Switzerland » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:07 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Given the "vintage of the vintages of the century" hype that surrounds 2007 I would have expected more from the Telegraphe as well. Your "Port-like" comment gives me a bit of pause, as I prefer my Chateauneuf fresher, yet you then add comments about freshness. I will have to broach a bottle in the near term just to gauge the wine for myself.

As for Clos des Papes, the US pricing has taken that one completely off my radar screen.

Planning to taste more 2007 CdPs in the near future, but let me emphasize that in principle it is the freshness and focus that I find attractive about the vintage - just a matter of finding the right wines. The VT may not fully correspond to that ideal.

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti