The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Argentinan Malbecs

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Alexander Verne

Rank

Just got here

Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:24 am

Argentinan Malbecs

by Alexander Verne » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:14 am

Good afternoon!

I've been lurking on this forum for a while now, taking a few of your recommendations - some very delightfully! Your notes are very comprehensive.

I had a question I need some expertise on so I thought I'd sign up and put it to you. While in Argentina a while back, I tried a wine that I fell in love with, a Qaramy Finca (2005). It's a winery one so I wasn't expecting to find it easily here in the UK but the web also seems devoid of all information on it. The closest I can find is a "Qaramy Pachahuasi". From the description, it sounds very similar indeed, including blend. Unlike the Finca, the Pachahuasi is somewhat more available.

Before I go and order myself a crate, I was wondering if someone could explain what, if any, the difference is likely to be?
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: Argentinan Malbecs

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:48 am

Welcome Alexander. There are a couple of guys here really close to the action in Argentina, true Malbec Hounds too. Think they might be around soon. Qaramy is a new name to me so look forward to some info.
no avatar
User

Alexander Verne

Rank

Just got here

by Alexander Verne » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:42 am

Thanks for the greeting, Bob! I've read some of the posts of these Malbec fans - they do seem enthusiastic! I'd recommend the Qaramy if you ever get a chance to try it, it's something special.

A little tidbit from an Argentinan friend. Apparently "Finca" means "Farm", which seems to be a popular name in many wines. I'm guessing maybe that it represents "Local" (as opposed to "Export") or similar? Has anyone seen "Finca" used to describe a Spanish or Chilean wine before?
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:46 am

I have 3 Finca in the cellar, from Spain.

Finca Antigua Martinez Bujande.
Finca Sandoval Manchuela.
Finca Allende.

I did a google search on your wine, lots of confussion!!
no avatar
User

Alexander Verne

Rank

Just got here

by Alexander Verne » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:44 am

Ah, I just heard from the maker, they confirmed that the two wines are, in fact, the same. One of the family lives here in London and offered to sell me a crate. Maybe thus I'll feel tempted to write some notes on it, now I'll all signed up :)

Thanks for your thoughts, Bob.