The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

07 Frank's Vinifera Wine Cellars Rkatseteli

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dan Smothergill

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:24 pm

Syracuse, NY

07 Frank's Vinifera Wine Cellars Rkatseteli

by Dan Smothergill » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:25 am

Imagine a wine that combines “The best of Riesling, Gewurztraminer, Sauvignon Blanc and Gruner Veltliner”. Sounds like my kind of wine! Yet the question that immediately comes to mind is which Riesling, which Gewurztraminer, etc. are you talking about? The variation within each of these kinds of wine is immense, as even the current crop of Finger Lakes Rieslings proves. Nevertheless, suggestible me is willing to admit that you could do a lot worse than this description by Lenn Thompson of the Rkatseteli from Frank’s Vinifera Wine Cellars. It is not a delicate wine. The taste is more peaches and melons than light citrus. The aroma is herbal and floral. And the acidity is all you would expect from the combination Thompson suggests, but the wine is well balanced.
If memory is correct (unlikely these days) this wine used to be sold for $20 +. The other day it was $15 at the winery, a bargain in my book. The server said that Frank’s had reduced some prices. Don’t know if that is correct but I also was surprised that the Pinot Noir was just $20.
Last edited by Dan Smothergill on Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
no avatar
User

Joe Moryl

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:38 pm

New Jersey, USA

Re: 07 Frank's Vinifera Wine Cellars Rkatseteli

by Joe Moryl » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:04 am

A few years ago there might have been some hype around this wine and perhaps Dr. Frank's or some retailers thought they could ask $20 or more. There were also some recent vintages where growing conditions led to scarcity (e.g 2005). But over the years it has always been priced close to the rieslings, maybe a dollar or two higher.

The '07 Pinot Noir is nice wine for $20.
no avatar
User

Dan Smothergill

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:24 pm

Syracuse, NY

by Dan Smothergill » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:01 pm

You're right Joe. The Riesling also was $15.
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

by Brian Gilp » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:17 pm

Have always liked the Dr. Frank's Rkatseteli. First had it 13 years ago and use to bring back a good amount when I would do a yearly trek to the FL. Unfortunately, the trips stopped sometime around 2000 and its rare to fine any Rkatseteli on the shelf in the local wine shops.