The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN+Q: Lambrusco

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN+Q: Lambrusco

by Saina » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:14 pm

I finally saw a Lambrusco at Alko that wasn't Riunite-soda-pop, so I had to try it!

Medici Ermete i Querciola Reggiano Lambrusco Secco NV DOC; 11% abv; 8 g/l RS; 7,8 g/l acidity; lot 18/09; 11€.

Deep, deep red, almost purple colour. It smells of raspberry, violets and earth - almost like a good Cru Beaujolais. Elegant mousse, not as carbonated as Champagne IMO but more than just pétillant (no exact figures, sorry). Deeply tannic, almost rich palate with refreshingly high acidity.

Very satisfying, though I can see that some people will find a fizzy red with such structure too much of a shock to the system! I have no idea if this is considered one of the better producers (I haven't seen any mention of it), but I enjoyed it. I'm hoping to get more experience of this dry, "serious", Lambrusco - but who are the good producers of it?
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN+Q: Lambrusco

by Dale Williams » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:12 pm

Hopefully someone with real knowledge will chime in.

I'll say that Lambrusco from Grasparossa and Sorbara subregions are generally more "serious" than ones without any subregion.

Ceci is a somewhat industrial producer, but make a couple very good "serious" Lambrusco, I think Otello Nero and La Luna

I've liked wines from Zucchi and Chiarli.

But my experience is limited
no avatar
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:18 pm

Personal statement entirely:

I'll agree that there can be an occasional "pleasant" Lambrusco but in my opinion if the lord made any mistakes at about the time of creation, the Lambrusco grape was one of those.

Best (and chuckling)
Rogov
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:27 pm

Rogov
BAH! :wink:
I'm a fan, but it took a lunchtime selection of Emilia-Romagnan meats, bread, cheese and some gastronomia veggie creations for me to realise where Lambrusco fits in. The frizzante fizz, light weight and refreshing acidity make it a great match for fatty foods (lardo anyone?).

Otto
I missed your call for other producers on my WP reply... Venturini Baldini, Rinaldo Rinaldini and (some of) Cavicchioli's Lambruschi are all well worth a look. As noted on the other forum though, your note and the earlier one from Jamie Goode suggests there may be a quiet revolution going on down via Emilia.

regards

Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:12 pm

I believe that Grasparossa is just a clone of Lambrusco. Out of all the Lambrusco grapes, Grasparossa could produce wines with the highest alcohol content.

Salute
no avatar
User

Joe Moryl

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:38 pm

New Jersey, USA

by Joe Moryl » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:15 pm

I've had a few of the 'serious' Lambruscos, most recently a taste of the Bocciolo bottling from Ermete. I don't see the comparison with cru Beaujolais; there is usually a load of raspberry fruit but also an inky grapeyness that is both appealing and unique. Nice wines for the right occasion, and they still evoke bottles of Giaccobazzi guzzled while in high school.

Rogov: if you think God erred when creating Lambrusco grapes I'd like to hear what you think he (she?) was smoking when the Vinhao grape, used for red Vinho Verde, was created.
no avatar
User

Steve Guattery

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:36 am

Central Pennsylvania

by Steve Guattery » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:45 pm

I became a fan of Lambrusco on a recent visit to Modena. Ian is right, it is a great match for the fatty local foods. The Modenese will tell you that the wine from the three Modenese Labrusco DOCs (Sorbara is at the lowest elevation and produces the lightest wines, Salamino di Santa Croce and Grasparossa di Castelvetro are at increasingly higher elevations and produce increasingly heavier wines; each DOC has its own correspondingly-named Lambrusco clone) is better than the wine from the Reggiano DOC. Haven't had enough to comment on that, but I certainly enjoyed what we tried. In addition to the bright acidity, I found a slight bitter edge to Lambrusco that works well with food. I preferred the secco versions, though there are the increasingly sweeter amabile and dolce versions as well.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:03 am

Anyone know anything about this one/producer etc? 2 stores carry it!

Coltiva Lambrusco di Modena.
no avatar
User

Agostino Berti

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:47 pm

Winston-Salem, North Carolina

by Agostino Berti » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:55 am

I think Rogov is dead wrong. :)
I went to Modena once and had Lambrusco (I don't know which) with the local cold cuts (salumi) and it was one of those rare occasions where food and wine really came together. The other time was a Cote de Luberon with local cheese in Provence. Magical and inexpensive.
Another good match-up is the real Bonarda (from Oltrepo Pavese, fizzy red from the Croatina grape) with salame di Varzi.
“Seekers of gold dig up much earth and find little.”
― Heraclitus
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:59 am

I'm in the camp that well made Lambrusco (not industrial plonk) with a platter of cured meats on the grass by the river is one of the great great combos.
no avatar
User

Agostino Berti

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:47 pm

Winston-Salem, North Carolina

by Agostino Berti » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:51 am

It's like when I was in Philadelphia not too far back and went to a great BYOB French restaurant called Bibou or something. The S.African Pinotage we had was wonderful and showed better than the Cotes-du -Rhone, but when we got got this wonderful, subtle food from the chef (who used to work at Le Bec Fin), the Cotes-Du-Rhone (a Fleet Street Import bought at Moore's Brothers) went wonderfully with the dish.
“Seekers of gold dig up much earth and find little.”
― Heraclitus
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:08 am

Oakland, CA; Cigliè, Piedmont

by Oliver McCrum » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:36 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Hopefully someone with real knowledge will chime in.

I'll say that Lambrusco from Grasparossa and Sorbara subregions are generally more "serious" than ones without any subregion.

Ceci is a somewhat industrial producer, but make a couple very good "serious" Lambrusco, I think Otello Nero and La Luna

I've liked wines from Zucchi and Chiarli.

But my experience is limited

You've already exhibited as much real knowlege as I can muster, Dale. My producer* makes maybe 4 different Lambruscos, and I picked Grasparossa di Castelvetro, the beefiest one, to make it clear that it was no relative of the swill that was popular here years ago ('Riunite on ice, that's nice').

Lambrusco isn't sufficiently respected even by supposed experts (an English 'expert' wrote a book called 'Life After Lambrusco,' as if it was a disease one recovered from). I was taken to a local trattoria by my producer when we were first talking and we had his wine with fresh pasta with Ragu Bolognese. It was one of the best combinations I've eaten. Also excellent with cured meats and salumi.

*Barbolini
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines
no avatar
User

Steve Guattery

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:36 am

Central Pennsylvania

by Steve Guattery » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:44 am

Oliver McCrum wrote:
Lambrusco isn't sufficiently respected even by supposed experts (an English 'expert' wrote a book called 'Life After Lambrusco,' as if it was a disease one recovered from). I was taken to a local trattoria by my producer when we were first talking and we had his wine with fresh pasta with Ragu Bolognese. It was one of the best combinations I've eaten. Also excellent with cured meats and salumi.

It's a great match with bollito misto, too.
no avatar
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:17 pm

Joe Moryl wrote:Rogov: if you think God erred when creating Lambrusco grapes I'd like to hear what you think he (she?) was smoking when the Vinhao grape, used for red Vinho Verde, was created.

Joe, Hi.....

As much as I may find occasional errors in God's creative abillities, on this one she is off the hook. The concept of red Vinho Verde originated directly from the 8th level of Hell. Devil's work!!!!

Best
Rogov