The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN:ANZSB

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

TN:ANZSB

by John Treder » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:24 pm

I decided to get cute with the subject. I hope I confused everyone!

New Zealand, Marlborough, Wild Rock, Sauv. Blanc 2008 $12.99 at Beltramo's in Menlo Park
Essence of New Zealand! Grassy with the “cat pee”pungency. Very pale color, very even across the tongue and down. Good length for SB. Excellent value. 13% alcohol

I've only had one bottle of Cloudy Bay. I think I like this better, and at half the price it's worth checking out. I hope I happen to see it again next time I'm shopping.

I picked it to go with seared sea scallops, rice and a salad of romaine and vine-ripe tomato, with a tarragon vinaigrette. The wine stood up to the salad and was a wonderful complement to the scallops.
Ok, the tomato had been picked half an hour before dinner and it was still warm from the sun, and very, very sweet. That helped the flavors a LOT.

John
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Richard Fadeley OLD

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue May 09, 2006 10:42 pm

Re: TN:ANZSB

by Richard Fadeley OLD » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:46 pm

I like NZ SB's. They are particularly good as an aperitif. With scallops I think I would prefer a Vouvray or an Alsace or German Reisling. Try it next time and tell us what you think.
Richard Fadeley, CWS
aka Webwineman
no avatar
User

michael dietrich

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed May 10, 2006 5:09 pm

West Linn, Oregon

by michael dietrich » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:41 pm

This is a second label for Craggy Range. They also do this label for Pinot Noir and Rose. I have not yet tasted this vintage but the previous one was pretty good.
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:25 am

I think I know what you're thinking, Richard, and I would often do just that. I had just opened a particularly horrible example of a Monterey Riesling a couple of days ago, and I sort of needed to get my mouth cleaned out. :(

At the price of good dry-pack scallops, it'll be a while before I have them again.

John
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

by Brian Gilp » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:10 pm

Never had the SB but I will second the endorsement for the Pinot.