The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: couple unoaked whites (Loire and Marche)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: couple unoaked whites (Loire and Marche)

by Dale Williams » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:00 am

Wednesday Betsy made the old Le Cirque pasta primavera (with a couple of modifications based on what we had at farmer's market), with a little side of beef. I regarded the pasta as the main course, and opened the 2008 Domaine de la Rablais Sauvignon Blanc(Loire). Sweet fruit, moderate acidity, some grass and currant/tomato leaves. Pleasant profile, but I'd prefer something with a little more zip and zing. Actually wonder if there's just a tad of RS here. B-

Thursday Betsy thought the bluefish looked good at Fairway, did a couple of filets with Rick Moonen's Dijonais recipe (slathered with mustard, mayo, and thyme). Some leftover pasta, grilled asparagus and corn, and the 2008 Colle Stefano Verdicchio di Matelica. The 07 was probably my favorite Verdicchio of all time, and it wasn't a fluke- this is very good too. Just a hint of spritz, clean citrus fruit, stony notes on end. Nice midbodied, a bit like a rather minerally Sancerre but with the fruit more on the lemony end. As it warms a little it gets some nuttiness - not oxidation, that little nutty note I get in lots of Italian whites. Very good for the $$ B++

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency. 
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: couple unoaked whites (Loire and Marche)

by David M. Bueker » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:10 pm

Drat. That's twice today I have clicked on a thread only to be confronted with Sauvignon Blanc. :wink:
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:08 am

Oakland, CA; Cigliè, Piedmont

Re: WTN: couple unoaked whites (Loire and Marche)

by Oliver McCrum » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:18 pm

Dale,

I'm glad you like the Colle Stefano, which I import for CA. I drink a lot of it. The wine is grown at fairly high altitude in chalky soil, explaining the distinctive mineral character.
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines