The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: my favorite wacky Rose

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: my favorite wacky Rose

by Dale Williams » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:09 am

So last night Betsy made hake with a salsa verde (with peas) while I made a dish of "broccoflower" with pimenton. Both vaguely Spanish, went downstairs for a cava, couldn't find, decided to go off into left field with the 1998 Lopez de Heredia Tondonia Rioja Rosado. Betsy in her usual perceptive if not geeky way quickly exclaimed "hey, it smells old on nose but tastes young." Nose is slightly sherried, with dried flowers, earth, and orange zest. Palate has good acidity, flavors of blood oranges and watermelon. With time fruit expands, with a little nutty note in background. Nice wine, though I'd give the edge to the '97 or '93 over this. Idiosyncratic wine- whether you liked or not would depend on tastes, but no one would call it the "same old same old." B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency. 
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

Re: WTN: my favorite wacky Rose

by Hoke » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:13 am

Pretty damned good (and yes, wacky) stuff, innit. 8)
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:43 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Betsy in her usual perceptive if not geeky way quickly exclaimed "hey, it smells old on nose but tastes young." 

It can something be humorous and embarassing when that happens. We'll be so concerned with the intricasies of our expectations and knowledge about the wine that it can obscure an objective judgment. And nothing like a disinterested non-geeky bystander/spouse to provide that!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:19 pm

I know I should like LdH Rose, but I have never warmed up to it.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:23 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:I know I should like LdH Rose, but I have never warmed up to it.

It's a truly idiosyncratic wine, and I'd be surprised if a lot (most?) didn't like it. I'm kind of surprised I like it, as I'm not generally a fan of wines with oxidative characteristics (I tend not to like Jura wines, sherry, and Coulee de Serrant- on the other hand I do like most Radikon etc). No pattern I can discern.