The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Help choosing wines...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Shannon R

Rank

Just got here

Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:54 am

Help choosing wines...

by Shannon R » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:23 pm

Hi, I'm getting married in 2010 and I'd like to get my husband-to-be a collection of wines set to come of age on our 5, 10, 15, 25, and 50 year anniversaries. Does anyone here have any suggestions? We're foodies, but have just gotten into really caring about our wines over the last few years...Thanks!
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: Help choosing wines...

by Howie Hart » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:56 pm

When my wife and I were married in 1975, we tried a few high end Bordeaux wines and fell in love with Chateau Lafite, so in 1978, upon release, we bought a case of 1975 Lafite and opened a bottle every 5 years on our anniversary. You might want to wait and buy something from the 2010 vintage that would be age-worthy. Even opening one on your 5th anniversary would be an adventure and you'd be able to see how it progresses over time, count the days until you open the next bottle, plan meals well in advance, etc.
Last edited by Howie Hart on Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:56 pm

A lot depends on what he (and you!) like. If your tastes is for fruity Pinot Noir, a suggestion of austere Bordeaux might not do well. And of course some people prefer red to white (or vice versa), dry to off dry, etc.

Did you want this to be a wedding or preweddding present? If so, you can't buy 2010 wines, they won't be in bottle. You'd need to wait a few years to see what did well in 2010. If 2010 isn't a consideration, is there an earlier year that has meaning to you?

The two things I can tell you:
1) there's no point in buying things that need long term cellaring if you don't have a storage plan
2) for a 50 yr anniversary, you are far safer with Port or Madiera than a dry wine.
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:05 pm

Welcome Shannon,

Congratulations on your engagement and future wedding! I took the approach of choosing wines from our wedding year. You'll have to wait on that one of course. In the meantime, it would help to have some idea of the style of wine you prefer, so as to narrow the possibilities. I can tell you this: once you start talking about wines to last for more than 30 - 40 years, you're looking almost exclusively at Port/fortified wines, dessert wines, the very best red Bordeaux, and the absolute top red Burgundy. Two wines immediately come to mind for 2060: Chateau d'Yquem, Sauternes 2001, and 2003.

Good Luck,
Ryan
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:12 pm

Vintage Port.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Shannon R

Rank

Just got here

Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:54 am

by Shannon R » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:15 pm

Wow, some great ideas already, and good things to consider! I hadn't thought of getting 2010 wines, but that might be nice. 2007 was a big year for us, so I could choose some from that year. I wasn't as concerned with origination date as end date, but that adds even more significance. This might be a stupid question, but when will 2010 wines come out? I imagine it varies? Our wedding is in July. He prefers sweet whites, but we've also learned that he likes really smooth reds, nothing too bitter -- he likes the reds we get in fabulous restaurants, hates the $15 bottles I come home with :). Since he likes 'em sweet, he loves Port and dessert wines, so this would be totally fine. Thank you so much for the suggestions so far--keep 'em coming!
Shannon
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:28 pm

Shannon R wrote:Wow, some great ideas already, and good things to consider! I hadn't thought of getting 2010 wines, but that might be nice. 2007 was a big year for us, so I could choose some from that year. I wasn't as concerned with origination date as end date, but that adds even more significance. This might be a stupid question, but when will 2010 wines come out? I imagine it varies? Our wedding is in July. He prefers sweet whites, but we've also learned that he likes really smooth reds, nothing too bitter -- he likes the reds we get in fabulous restaurants, hates the $15 bottles I come home with :). Since he likes 'em sweet, he loves Port and dessert wines, so this would be totally fine. Thank you so much for the suggestions so far--keep 'em coming!
Shannon

2007 is a fantastic vintage for Sauternes, and the Rhone. The age-worthy 2010's generally won't be released until 2013. Sounds like your husband-to-be would be a big fan of Sauternes (for sweet whites), but might also like Right Bank Bordeaux: St. Emilion and Pomerol (definitely don't bother with red Bordeaux from 2007 though).
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:34 pm

Ryan Maderak wrote: the very best red Bordeaux...and Burgundy

Right, and the wine that would still be good 25 years out is most likely not going to drink well at age 5 or 10. Dale's suggestion is spot on--port or madeira would work best, and a case would be more affordable than Bordeaux or Burgundy.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:38 pm

I am pretty sure 2007 is a Vintage Port year, so if you want wines to last a long, long time then that's a good way to go.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:07 pm

Shannon R wrote:Wow, some great ideas already, and good things to consider! I hadn't thought of getting 2010 wines, but that might be nice. 2007 was a big year for us, so I could choose some from that year. I wasn't as concerned with origination date as end date, but that adds even more significance. This might be a stupid question, but when will 2010 wines come out? I imagine it varies? Our wedding is in July. He prefers sweet whites

In that case there's a lot of German sweet wine to pick from that should be drinking very well in a long time and doesn't cost a bomb. (2007 was also quite a good year in Germany, and I reckon the better wines from that year should be great to drink 10-15 years from now.)
no avatar
User

Jack R

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:23 pm

by Jack R » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:34 am

Shannon R wrote:This might be a stupid question, but when will 2010 wines come out? I imagine it varies? Shannon

The year is based on when the grape was harvested, not bottled. Hence, the wine making process is going to elongate the time it takes to bottle and sell. For some wines, this could be a matter of months, while for others, it could be years.
no avatar
User

Matilda L

Rank

Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:48 am

Adelaide, South Australia

by Matilda L » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:09 am

An alternative idea, what about buying a case of current-release wine in a style you like every year to celebrate your wedding anniversary. That way the collection keeps on building up and rolling through, and you get to decide together what to buy each year. This can be fun as your tastes change and develop together.