The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2003 Long Shadows 'Feather'

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: 2003 Long Shadows 'Feather'

by Jenise » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:01 pm

First bottle of this vintage, made by California's Randy Dunn at Long Shadows winery in Washington with Washington fruit in a fairly hot vintage, we've had. It's quite big and powerful with more stuffing than the 2004, at first very sturdy and primary but over an hour relaxing into a much more agreeable and impressive sort of wine. It's either all or nearly all Cabernet Sauvignon, and it's very Washingtonian with a bit of herbs and green pepper in the ripe blackberry, huckleberry and plum fruit. Good tannins. Some secondary development is just nipping around the edges, and I taste a wine here that should reach it's potential about three years out and hold steady for a couple years after that. Hard to tell, as this is the first vintage and there's no available track record for the fruit. Too, though it was quite balanced and did not taste acidified, it had enough acidity that in a vintage like 03, one has to wonder if that short cut was taken and what effect on longevity it will have--an earlier (2007) reporter on Cellar Tracker thought it surprisingly endowed with same. Anyway, very good wine if you like new world cabs.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

Re: WTN: 2003 Long Shadows 'Feather'

by Bruce Hayes » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:42 pm

Thanks for the note. Would be interested to know what you paid for it. It was released in Ontario a little while ago (I didn't buy any) at $75 (Canadian).
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: 2003 Long Shadows 'Feather'

by Jenise » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:35 am

Bruce Hayes wrote:Thanks for the note. Would be interested to know what you paid for it. It was released in Ontario a little while ago (I didn't buy any) at $75 (Canadian).

Typical retail on this one is $50-55, so $75C isn't bad.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov