The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1995 Pichon Lalande

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David Glasser

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:51 am

Maryland

WTN: 1995 Pichon Lalande

by David Glasser » Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:20 pm

Decided to pull one of these to see where it's going. Last bottle three years ago took some time to open up and was still young. This one is showing some nice aged notes.

• 1995 Château Pichon Longueville Comtesse de Lalande - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac (9/9/2009)
    Purple core lightening to dark red at the rim. The nose is forward but simple at first, then blossoms over an hour into a beautifully complex rich nose of cassis, dark berries, forest floor and wet leaves, cedar, and tobacco. Full-bodied, ripe layers of fruit with complexity following from the nose and the classic sweet aged notes so typical of Bordeaux, great balance, well-tamed tannins in the background, long finish, should go easily for another decade or two, this is outstanding.

There was about 1/4 bottle left. The next evening when I went looking for it I saw that my wife put it out in the recycling bin in the garage without realizing there was some left. I rescued the thing, fortunately the wine hadn't spilled out, and damn if it still wasn't drinking pretty decently after a hot day in the garage at about 80 degrees. If it can handle that, it can handle another couple of decades in the cellar.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 1995 Pichon Lalande

by David M. Bueker » Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:23 pm

Thanks for the tasting note. I'm pulling a bottle of '96 Lagrange this week, and while I am sure it won't be up to the Lalande I am looking for good things.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

Re: WTN: 1995 Pichon Lalande

by Tim York » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:06 pm

This is good news. I don't have any of this, which has always been considered an outstanding 95, but do have a few other left bankers. So far I have been disappointed by the progress of the 95s which I have seen, except for some bourgeois like Phélan-Ségur and Verdignan. There are a lot of dry tannins and not just at Bordeaux. It's time I took another look.
Tim York