The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wine chat

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

Wine chat

by Florida Jim » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:56 am

‘Little different notes this time . . .

I tasted some interesting wines recently, among them the 2008 Dom. La Quilla, Muscadet which was a taut, vibrant wine with the kind of clean, crisp delivery one expects from good recent vintage Muscadet.

Steve’s first incarnation of his Edmund’s St. John, Heart of Gold (2007 right?) was absolutely delicious with a Chinese vegetable salad and pretty nice even by itself. The last bottle I had was a little closed and hard but not this one. I do like vermentino.

I hesitate to even mention the 2008 Soliste, Rosé as it is sold out, but a friend made the wine and he should get some props for what may be the only pinot noir saignée I have ever liked. Very pretty juice with wild strawberry, watermelon and mineral flavors - deft enough to be good cool in a stem and flavorful enough to be good over ice in an old-fashion glass. It matches all sorts of food.

At a party, I tasted through the last six vintages of the SQN, Pinot Noirs (I can’t keep track of the names); the only one that was remotely palatable was the 2003 which probably explains why I don’t bother with the names. I admit that big alcohol, extracted pinot just isn’t my thing but these were flabby and monotone as well – a lot of money to spend on something so simple.

Two wines, however, deserve a bit more consideration.

First: 1996 Dom. Roumier, Morey-Saint-Denis Clos de la Bussière:
Perfect cork; balsamic and cooked fruit nose, some high tones and a bit of secondary development; lean in the mouth with some of the balsamic notes and a bit attenuated, sharp acidity – despite all that, some solid fruit with enough depth and intensity to suggest Morey; slightly drying finish with a bit of VA. My description doesn’t sound all that good and compared to a recent ’99 Drouhin, Volnay, this wine falls short – did get better the more air it got but never rose to its price point.
I know there are a few folks (most with a lot more experience than I with this bottling) that will say that I am ten years or so too early opening this. And who am I to dispute that.
But the balsamic notes suggested some tiring – not just hard or closed. And the drying finish made me think that this may never be what I would have expected. I have a bottle or two left in the cellar so we’ll see – I won’t be into them anytime soon.

Second: 2001 F. X. Pichler, Riesling ReserveM:
Honeyed fruit and loads of lemon custard on the nose with solid minerality; immense body, depth and concentration in the mouth, some RS, tongue-coating acidity and despite the “out-sizedness” of all of the above, good balance; endless finish. Auslese body and texture with kabinett sweetness; a full-throttle example of the variety. Awesome wine and not for the everyday.
It may sound inconsistent to laud this wine and dis the SQN’s but size alone was not determinative. This is a massive wine (although I think F. X. would say “monumental” is what the M means) but it also has complexity, character and a backbone that belie its size and weight. As is often the case, great wine is a paradox; size but balance, plush but refreshing, big bodied but bright. I had a glass without food and enjoyed it but it was off the charts with a lentil and kale dish Diane dreamed up.

One could do worse than to have these wines to try.

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

Re: Wine chat

by Salil » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:25 am

Thanks Jim. Always enjoy reading your notes, hadn't seen you around here for a while recently. I hope harvest is going well at Cowan Cellars.

That FX M sounds really superb. That is a bottling of his I haven't yet tried and it sounds like I need to sometime soon.
While I am not that big a fan of the oversize, overripe wines (I haven't tasted any SQN reds, but have tasted some 'peer group' wines like Saxum, Maybach and co. and found them incredibly tiring and over the top), I agree with you completely on the FX Pichlers - FX is one of my favourite producers and while I find the wines big and very ripe in general, they carry themselves with a lot more balance and show a depth and sometimes a distinctive sense of place (particularly his Steinertal and Kellerberg bottlings) that I find in very few other "big" wines.

And ooh, ESJ makes Vermentino? Cool! :D
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

by Florida Jim » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:01 am

Salil Benegal wrote:That FX M sounds really superb. That is a bottling of his I haven't yet tried and it sounds like I need to sometime soon.
While I am not that big a fan of the oversize, overripe wines (I haven't tasted any SQN reds, but have tasted some 'peer group' wines like Saxum, Maybach and co. and found them incredibly tiring and over the top), I agree with you completely on the FX Pichlers - FX is one of my favourite producers and while I find the wines big and very ripe in general, they carry themselves with a lot more balance and show a depth and sometimes a distinctive sense of place (particularly his Steinertal and Kellerberg bottlings) that I find in very few other "big" wines.

And ooh, ESJ makes Vermentino? Cool!

Actually, Steve combines his vermentino with grenache blanc - its got a lot of cut and bright fruit.

Ah, Kellerberg; haven't had many but what I have make me think good thoughts.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:09 pm

Jim, thanks for the Pichler note. Friend of mine has some stashed away for future drinking. Will show him this post!
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:35 am

I just had the opportunity to drink the 2001 'M' last night from FX Pichler. After reading your notes my expectations were certainly raised, and it was a wonderful experience.