The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: autumnal

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

WTN: autumnal

by Mark S » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:17 pm

Colors are beginning to change on the trees here, as autumn makes itself slowly felt. Subconsciously picking out fall favorites:

Charles Joguet, Chinon, 'les Varennes du Grand Clos', 2003
Yes, it's not 'cool' to say you like this wine here, as it's not in the LDM stable of cab franc, but this is one damn good bottle. The color is a vibrant pale-ish cherry. Ripe cabernet franc explodes out of the nose. Grassy-tinged chewy blackcurrant with a glycerin-sleeved licorice root end. Fuller bodied on the palate than the fragrant ripe nose suggests. 13.5% Excellent juice. A-

Viviani, Valpolicella classico superiore, 'Campo Morar', 2001
Medium cherry red color. Frutti di bosco, menthol on the nose. Drinks like a <i>ripasso</i>. Red fruited menthol-licorice, this has settled down since a previous encounter, which appeared openly disjointed. Feels only a little light and somewhat austere, and the 14% alcohol sticks out. Further development might tame the twig tannin a little more, but I fear more age could lose what charmless fruit is in there. B/B+

Pichler, Wachau, Gruner Veltliner, Smaragd, 'M', 2004
Light, medium glistening gold. Pleasant nose of guava paste and ginger snap cookies. In the mouth, there's a warm cascade of yellow-orange tropical fruits, some burnt sugar on the finish, with chilling, the 14% alcohol receeds a bit and freshly cracked black peppercorns become predominant on the finish, along with dried lemon rinds, and Asian coconut taffy. Not sure about 'monumental', but this is pretty good. A-

Palmina, Barbera, Santa Barbara County, 2006
Black cherry & licorice, repeated on the palate, with black raspberry and sweet, smokey tar-asphalt. Good acidity. Smoother and richer than it's Italian counterparts. B+ 14.5%

Ada Nada, Barbaresco, 'Valeirano', 2004
Clear, autumnal looking red. Stinky bleu cheese aroma clouds the glass after an initial whiff of fruits. Better in the mouth, with red fruits, black plums...initially easy-going, but then with air, reveals it's power with metallic tannins. Alcohol shows more with airtime (2 hours). 14% B+

Domaine Michel Lafarge, Volnay, 'vendanges selectionnees', 1999
Can't get more Fall-like than this. Color is slightly mature with some orange-rind already. Dried orange peel, Beeman's Pepsin gum, and cherry confit aromas, echoed on the palate, along with rose petal, branches of cherrywood, definately better with food than without it. Very nice. A-
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: autumnal

by Jenise » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:50 pm

Not cool to like Joguet???????? Wow, I'm very uncool then, it's one of my favorite Loire CF producers--always spicey and savory at the same time. Great wines--bet Joe would kill to get them in his stable.

Btw, sorry to have missed meeting you at lunch last month--my life is not my own!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

Re: WTN: autumnal

by Mark S » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:14 pm

Jenise wrote:Btw, sorry to have missed meeting you at lunch last month--my life is not my own!

Yeah, felt bad about that :cry: , but nice to meet the rest of 'the crew'. Food, wine, people, and ambience were terrific. And the day was beautiful as well. With the wife and daughter, I know all too well about life not being one's own(!).