The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Drinking Strategy

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David Mc

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:20 am

Washington DC -- Maryland Suburbs

Re: Drinking Strategy

by David Mc » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:21 pm

Jenise wrote:A to Z? Never had an A to Z that was more than passable.

I had an A to Z Pinot Noir last week (2007, Oregon, $19) and agree that it was barely passable (to me anyway). Didn't even come close to the 2006 Adelsheim Pinot Noir (Willamette, $26). The extra $7 bought a lot!

Dave
no avatar
User

Steve Slatcher

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:51 am

Manchester, England

by Steve Slatcher » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:24 pm

David McIntire wrote:Any pitfalls (like you might get sick of drinking Zins for a whole month).

I'd say France is too big to do it justice in a month. It is big in terms of volume of wine production, it's regions have distinct styles, and each region often has many distinct styles within it - for example Bordeaux has left bank and right bank reds, dry whites and sweet wines (to name a few). If you do not wish to spread it out over several months on a French regional basis, I'd suggest you slot French wines in alongside others in your varietal months - North Rhone into Syrah, left bank Bordeaux into Cab Sauv, etc.

The same is sort of true for Italy - huge wine production and very fragmented in terms of areas, styles and varieties. But as they tend use less-international varieties the trick of slipping the wines into varietal categories would not work. I'd split it over 3 periods at least.

Oh, and yes, I woud get sick of drinking Zin for a month - and most other varieties/styles too. How about focussing on, say, 2 or 3 contrasting varieties over a 2 month period?
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:50 pm

For god's sake, it's a $19 - or less - pinot.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:20 pm

ChefJCarey wrote:For god's sake, it's a $19 - or less - pinot.

2005 Drouhin 'Vero' was less than that on release.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Linda L

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:53 pm

McMinnville, Oregon

by Linda L » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:20 pm

I think one of the problems, in particular with Pinot Noirs from Oregon and price points is that folks cannot help but have a pre-concieved notiion of what they should expect in the bottle. Perhaps, because you know it is an A to Z wine, you expect less, therefore, get less ? We did a mega tasting several months ago, with several of the 2007 vintages, blind of course, and the results were quite amusing. Some of the lower priced wines blew out the "trophy" or the higher end, low production wines. I would recommend opening to your eyes to blind tasting and seeing just what really is within the bottle, not what you expect.
L
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:31 pm

Linda L wrote:I think one of the problems, in particular with Pinot Noirs from Oregon and price points is that folks cannot help but have a pre-concieved notiion of what they should expect in the bottle. Perhaps, because you know it is an A to Z wine, you expect less, therefore, get less ? We did a mega tasting several months ago, with several of the 2007 vintages, blind of course, and the results were quite amusing. Some of the lower priced wines blew out the "trophy" or the higher end, low production wines. I would recommend opening to your eyes to blind tasting and seeing just what really is within the bottle, not what you expect.
L

Linda, if that's directed at me--I blind taste all the time. And I'm really a pretty darned good wine taster, and I'm not swerved by price. It is not fair or reasonable for you to assume that my failure to be impressed by the A to Z is only about price--believe me, if I found value in the A to Z I'd be most happy to shout that from the rooftops. But I didn't--last tasted (probably not the 07, but could have been) one about six months ago at a small dinner. Other wines that night were a $10 Spanish wine (Luzon mourvedre) and $25 California grenache (Cedarville). Both made great impressions on all present but the A to Z was just serviceable. In that price range and from Oregon I've had better from O'Reilly's and recently a wine called Plowbusters but I think that's a proprietor's name not a producer's name, and I'm not sure who makes it. I'm also a fan of the Cottonwood Marina Piper and Beran (Dijon clones, anyway, haven't had the Pommard) which at $25 compete with wines at the $30-40 level. Good values both, where the A-Z seemed like what it was, a $19 wine that shouldn't cost more than $20.

Say, want a TERRIFIC under $20 pinot? Louis Latour Valmoisssine from Provence. $15ish here in my neighborhood.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Previous