The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN - Summer Drinking: 2. Colorado wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

WTN - Summer Drinking: 2. Colorado wines

by Ryan M » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:24 am

Link to my notes in Rogov's Place:
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=27047
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

Re: WTN - Summer Drinking: 2. Colorado wines

by Sue Courtney » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:33 pm

My sisters are going to Copper Mountain early next year for skiing. Are the wineries near the ski resorts? Are they likely to be able to find a Colorado wine to buy in one of the wine shops? Is is worth them lugging one back to New Zealand for me? Be truthful now.
Cheers,
Sue
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

Re: WTN - Summer Drinking: 2. Colorado wines

by Ryan M » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:52 pm

I believe all the wineries are in the front ranges, quite a ways from Summit County, which is farther west, in the heart of the Rockies (I've actually skied Copper Mountain, but its been quite a few years now). I would expect that liquor stores in the ski-resort towns would proudly carry the wines (tourism, you know). They told me at that cafe that because of vintage variation being so substantial, you couldn't count on a wine you liked being good in another vintage. That said, it seems like they're doing a pretty respectable job with the Bordeaux grapes (savory and lean works better with them), plus I'd certainly try some Pinot Noir, and if the two whites were any indicator, the "fatter" grapes do better than the acidity driven ones. I probably would have walked out with a bottle of the Pinot Noir or the Viognier-Chard if dropping $20 (which seemed to be the "entry" price) on a wine was in my grad student budget. In short, I'd say . . . . sure, if they can find some Cab Sauv, PN, or Viognier for under $20, go for it - any more than that, and I'd say too much risk on something they haven't tasted. And that's on the assumption that you're willing to spend $20 on something just to try it. They are distinctive enough to make it worth while, in my mind.
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)