The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Urbans Legend?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

WTN: Urbans Legend?

by Doug Surplus » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:23 am

Well, not quite, but quite good

2007 St Urbans-Hof Ockfener Bockstein Spatlese - At first I thought this was rather light, but with time it put on a bit of weight. Citrus, apples and light honey. Clean acidity and a lingering green apple finish. I had thought my daughter would help with the bottle but when she came home she told me she was not drinking for the next 30 days in solidarity with a friend who has a drinking problem. So, I had to finish the bottle all by myself. Tough job, etc.

However, it was rather nice to drink this over 4-5 hours and observe the changes. Well worth the $22 and I hope the shop has some more in stock.
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Re: WTN: Urbans Legend?

by JC (NC) » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:52 am

When I was living in Germany years ago, Ockfener Bockstein was perhaps my favorite Riesling vineyard (I was drinking Dr. Fischer at that time.) I don't buy them on a regular basis anymore but still pick up some on visits to DC (Dr. Wagner or whatever is on hand.) I liked Piesporters and Wehlener Sonnenuhr and Urziger Wurzgarten for Mosels and Ockfener Bockstein for Saar. (Now I also like Zilliken and am trying some Maximin Grunhaus wines from the Ruwer.)
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:22 pm

Bockstein is a somewhat overlooked site, being in the immense shadow of the Scharzhofberger. In the right hands the represent fantastic value. Urbans-Hof is my favorite producer of wines from this site.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:36 am

I've only had few Urbans-Hof wines but I've liked them all. I'm definitely going after more of this one.
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?