The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: GIUSEPPE MASCARELLO & FIGLIO BAROLO MONPRIVATO 2003

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Joshua Kates

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:48 pm

WTN: GIUSEPPE MASCARELLO & FIGLIO BAROLO MONPRIVATO 2003

by Joshua Kates » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:46 pm

I checked on Cellartracker, and they, and Crush (who sold it in '08, but not to me), all said this was an early drinking Barolo. As far as this particular bottle I opened tonight, however, they were wrong.
Color is a red, lighening toward the rim. Good nose (violets, floral). Let decant 4 hours, tasting periodically. At first, after an hour, definitely seemed shut down-hinting at fruit, acid at the end. Not overpowering, a "feminine" (?) style of Barolo, at least in this vintage. Second hour more was going on, the acid receding...you get the picture. Eventually showed a lovely delicate core of blue fruit, no stewed prunes, or even much balsamic, with, however, classical surrounding Barolo notes, a bit of tar, a filip of something else herbaceous at the end. At this point very yummy, but not memorable or definitive in the way of others that I have tasted. Maybe a 90, B/B+ (I know they're not equivalent grades), if you want to get all quantitative about it.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

Re: WTN: GIUSEPPE MASCARELLO & FIGLIO BAROLO MONPRIVATO 2003

by Oswaldo Costa » Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:33 am

Thanks for the warning! Based on the earlier-then-normal drinkability of many 03 Bordeaux, I would have thought this might be more open. I opened a 99 of the same a few months ago and it was still not open for business. I have an appointment to visit Mascarello in the first week of November and will try to get some idea of how they see their drinkability windows.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.