The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Nice Napa Valley Cabernet

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN: Nice Napa Valley Cabernet

by Brian K Miller » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:27 am

From the unfortunately named :mrgreen: "Chateau Boswell" winery north of St. Helena on Silverado Trail:

2003 Estate Cabernet Sauvignon. Wow. This has beautiful floral perfume. A hint of a green note that adds freshness. Fine grained medium mouthfeel with tannins integrated but still there. Lovely cassis fruit, and I can taste the floral notes as well. Very elegant wine which I would "score" in the mid 90s. No hint of tiredness or pruneyness...this still had time to go! 94 points. One of the better Napa Cabs from this year.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Nice Napa Valley Cabernet

by David M. Bueker » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:31 am

Could be worse - could be Chateau Bosley!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Michael Malinoski

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:11 pm

Sudbury, MA

by Michael Malinoski » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:47 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Could be worse - could be Chateau Bosley!

Funny! That is what my brain actually interpreted Boswell as! Man, too much 70's TV in my youth...
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:52 pm

Didn't realize this place was still around. Isn't that the "castle" off of the Silverado Trail? I think Andre Tchelistcheff was involved with them back when they first started up. Haven't heard anything of them in years.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:56 am

Mike Filigenzi wrote:Didn't realize this place was still around. Isn't that the "castle" off of the Silverado Trail? I think Andre Tchelistcheff was involved with them back when they first started up. Haven't heard anything of them in years.

They are still around, with an active website and a winemaker who responds to a complimentary email within a half hour. :wink:

I actually had heard/thought that the original behind the scenes investor had passed away a couple of years ago and the winery was being sold (I recall a realtor sign) but they are still an ongoing concern with the same team, it appears. They also made an absolutely KILLER chardonnay as well...it was killer even though it was made in the tons of oak-rich fruit-and-high alcohol style I usually dislike, but it was just so darn DELICIOUS with a capital "D". I remember the Chardonnay being bright yellow in color! :mrgreen:

So, they made two of my top twenty Napa wines since I became wine obsessed a few years ago! :shock:

Alas...I can no longer afford these. :(
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:24 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:From the unfortunately named :mrgreen: "Chateau Boswell" winery north of St. Helena on Silverado Trail:

2003 Estate Cabernet Sauvignon. Wow. This has beautiful floral perfume. A hint of a green note that adds freshness. Fine grained medium mouthfeel with tannins integrated but still there. Lovely cassis fruit, and I can taste the floral notes as well. Very elegant wine which I would "score" in the mid 90s. No hint of tiredness or pruneyness...this still had time to go! 94 points. One of the better Napa Cabs from this year.

Brian, I have to say your comments on other subjects have more merit IMHO than your ratings of wines from Napa. :roll:
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:47 pm

Lou Kessler wrote:Brian, I have to say your comments on other subjects have more merit IMHO than your ratings of wines from Napa. :roll:

ooh...snap!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:52 am

Lou Kessler wrote:Brian, I have to say your comments on other subjects have more merit IMHO than your ratings of wines from Napa. :roll:

I don't know what to say. :oops:

You don'tike their wines? I've had two other bottlings that I would rate lower, but this cab was nice.
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:08 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:

You don'tike their wines? I've had two other bottlings that I would rate lower, but this cab was nice.

You don't have to say anything, everybody is entitled to their own opinion. It's only grape juice. :roll:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:18 pm

Hey, Brian posts what he thinks just like we all do, and we enjoy his posts. If all agreed all the time and all bottles were the same, we wouldn't have much to talk about, would we?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:25 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:

I don't know what to say, either, having not tasted their wines ever AFAIK. I always enjoy reading your notes on Napa wines, Brian, knowing of your fondness for wines of the Arbois. Some day, I'll try some of your recommendations and see if our palates align in that regard, too. Having drunk wine with Lou before, I know how close our two palates are, so I am one cornfuzzled reader right about now -- but that's what makes wine such a fun topic of conversation!

Mark Lipton

p.s. I recall that "For Sale" sign on the unfortunately named Ch. Boswell, too. I wish that they'd at least have changed the name :wink: