The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Barolo and Grosses Gewach

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Barolo and Grosses Gewach

by Dale Williams » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:27 pm

Last night I did steaks, broccoli, and a tomato/basil sauce with fettucine. David and I had dinner, wine, and good conversation (it's kind of weird - in good way- having an adult conversation about complex and sensitive issues - race in Bed Stuy where he lives- with someone that is no longer a kid). The dinner wine was the 1998 Guido Porro "Vigna Lazzairasco" Barolo. A bit thin, red fruit, acidic at first. An hour open does it a world of good, fleshes out, red plums and cherries, smoke, rose petals. Tannins are not very evident, just enough to stand up to meat. Not especially long. Good, not great. B

Opened for cooking and tasted over 2 days, the 2006 Pfeffingen "Weilberg" Riesling Grosses Gewachs. Ah, the 4 Ps: petrol, pine needles, peaches, and pineapple. Moderate acidity, lots of body (13.5% abv), dry but nowhere near austere. Day 2 all petrol and peach. Nice wine, would be interesting blind next to a CFE or an Austrian Smaragd. B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency. 
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Barolo and Grosses Gewach

by David M. Bueker » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:48 pm

Thanks for the notes Dale. I have not yet had any of the Pfeffingen GGs, focusing instead on my tried and true Leitz and Donnhoff for most of my dry German Riesling needs. That said I would like to do a similar blind tasting of some top dry Rieslings not to see which is "better" but rather to see if we can pull out the common threads that make Germany, Austria & Alsace Rieslings all part of the same family despite their differences. Of course we would need to decant the wines due to the distinctive bottles! :?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: Barolo and Grosses Gewach

by Dale Williams » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:21 pm

I have one other (different) 06 Pfeffingen GG , would be happy to bring to such an event (and I can bring some Alsace and/or Austrian)