The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

1999 Domaine Marquis d'Angerville Volnay 1er Cru

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Doug Cromwell

Rank

Cellar rat

Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:11 pm

1999 Domaine Marquis d'Angerville Volnay 1er Cru

by Doug Cromwell » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:52 am

Dinner last evening was a braised beef roast with some of the first fall root vegetables from our garden. We used a much simpler wine in the braise (2004 Bourgogne from Jadot), as I could not bear to give up a cup of the Volnay.

I normally prefer not to decant Burgundy (this was opened in late afternoon for an early evening meal), but when we sat down to eat it was still so tight that I quickly grabbed a wide bottomed decanter. After a time there was enough fruit to complement the rather rustic, earthy elements of the wine and make it a good partner to a rustic meal. It was only after another hour to 90 minutes in the decanter that the flavors of the wine truly opened up to match the aromatics, but such is Burgundy.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: 1999 Domaine Marquis d'Angerville Volnay 1er Cru

by Jenise » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:55 am

Doug, glad to see you jumped in and are posting already! Pull up a stool, stay awhile....

But hey, good choice re saving the Volnay for yourself and sacrificing the Jadot to the pot. Sounds like a good bottle...hope you have more with which to allow more time (either in the decanter, or on the shelf awaiting a better day).
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: 1999 Domaine Marquis d'Angerville Volnay 1er Cru

by Dale Williams » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:53 am

thanks for timely notes, I have a couple, was contemplating opening, maybe I better wait. Welcome to WLDG