The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN - Summer Drinking: 5. Chablis GC and Pouilly-Fume

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

WTN - Summer Drinking: 5. Chablis GC and Pouilly-Fume

by Ryan M » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:29 am

Link to my notes in Rogov's Place:
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=27178
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN - Summer Drinking: 5. Chablis GC and Pouilly-Fume

by Rahsaan » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:03 am

Ryan Maderak wrote:Regis Minet, Vieilles Vignes, Pouilly-Fume 2002
Medium-dark golden yellow. Good nose, with distinct jasmine notes. On the palate, tangerine, apricot, honey, pear, and a touch of flowers, with smokey minerals. Full bodied, with a richness I wouldn't previously have expected from Sauvigon Blanc (almost like Sauternes, in some aspects). Unlike any Loire Sauvignon I've had before, but the smokey minerals proclaim its appellation. A remarkable wine, with 2 - 3 years ahead of it. Excellent / Exceptional (89 - 91). [8/3/09]

Interesting that you note the richness. I remember tasting Minet wines closer to release and they were clean and refreshing, maybe that was a function of age rounding it out. Although I certainly didn't taste them consistently over the years so I can't pretend to know the house style well.

And while the rich style may not be the cliche for Loire Sauvignon Blanc, there are plenty of people doing various versions of richness. Cotat being at the top of the heap with a respectable dose of residual sugar.
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:15 am

I thought perhaps it was the Old Vines that gave it that extra depth, but the age could explain it as well. Probably some combination of the two. I have no previous experience with this producer, and before this I probably hadn't had a Sauvignon Blanc that was older than 3 yrs, so I have no baseline for how SB ages. Like I noted, the additional notes in this wine were quite Sauternais (which would make at least some sense).
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:55 am

If you want to track down more, Hart David Hart sent out an email yesterday with a bunch of this wine for $15 per bottle. Sounds delicious for that price.
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:04 pm

At that price it's a steal!!! I've got other irons in the fire and probably won't get any, but I encourage everybody else to grab them while you can! I've never had any SB even approaching the quality of this wine for under $20.
Galileo Galilei

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:15 pm

Ryan Maderak wrote:I encourage everybody else to grab them while you can! I've never had any SB even approaching the quality of this wine for under $20.

According to wine-searcher, recent vintages cost $20-25. Seems fair and is making me think about actually drinking some Sauvignon Blanc! Not a common drink of mine these days.