The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

NEWS: Canadian fined for smuggling wine

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

NEWS: Canadian fined for smuggling wine

by Jenise » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:24 pm

...across the U.S. border, that is.

Smuggling verdict against Vancouver man a $5,000 boost to Calgary food bank

By Daryl Slade, Calgary HeraldSeptember 29, 2009 10:31 AM

The fine for a failed bid to smuggle top-of-the-line wine into Alberta will help feed Calgary's hungry.
Delbert Synn Yap, a Vancouver businessman, was ordered on Monday to pay$5,000 to the Calgary Inter-Faith Food Bank for smuggling 329 bottles of vintage vino into Canada. He will avoid a criminal record.
Provincial court Judge Sean Dunnigan said he was lenient only because of Yap's lack of prior criminal record and the fact he already paid the maximum $25,000 administrative fee for undervaluing the wine. He had undervalued the $57,847 load by $44,591.
The full amount must be paid before the end of the six-month probation period to make it an absolute discharge.
"I regard this as a relatively serious case of smuggling. This isn't a six-pack of Stroh's beer on the way back from Great Falls. Neither is it a cheap pair of Nikes from the outlet mall in Vegas," said Dunnigan.
"It was a planned subterfuge with the expressed purpose of avoiding $3,800 of duty on very expensive wine most of the public doesn't have the privilege of tasting."
Some bottles the judge mentioned in his ruling are listed on the Internet at $600 each.
Dunnigan also noted that the offender forfeited the smuggled bottles of wine. They were poured down the drain by Canadian Border Services Agency personnel.
Yap was caught Oct. 14,2006, when he crossed back into Canada at the Coutts port of entry.
"We're extremely honoured, actually," said James McAra, the food bank CEO. "It's like turning wine into food . . . a $5,000 donation will go a long way. This will help look after the most vulnerable. We're appreciative of the benefits this can do for the community, as opposed to just being a penalty."
Crown prosecutor Randy Gass had argued that the 42-year-old, who pleaded guilty to one count of smuggling, should have a criminal record for the offence.
But the judge felt the penalty was appropriate.
Defence lawyer Alain Hepner's had sought a conditional discharge and the charitable donation.
Court heard Yap had Alberta Gaming and Liquor Commission permission to import large quantities of wine from the United States for personal use, in this case 896 bottles, but undervalued the shipment by about 80 per cent.
Dunnigan said Yap is otherwise an upstanding member of the community.
"This offence . . . appears to be out of character and an aberration for an individual who has imported wines in the past without transgressing the law," he said.
Two other charges were withdrawn against Yap and all three charges were dropped against co-accused Thomas O'Neill.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

MichaelB

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:32 pm

Sierra southmost, California

Re: NEWS: Canadian fined for smuggling wine

by MichaelB » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:17 am

Looks like Delbert Yap fought the law and the law won. That's OK, but there's another crime: pouring all that wine down the drain! It's the same in the USA. I remember getting nabbed with 2 cases of Bohemia beer by US Customs in Laredo, Texas, and crying (inside, anyway) as the agents made me pour out all but the permitted 2 bottles down the toilet. That's a laugher, but a $600 wine? Why couldn't customs have auctioned off the Lafite-Rothschild or whatever and donate the proceeds to the food bank? That buys lot of beans and rice for the people who need it and someone gets to enjoy the wine, too. What a waste.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:53 am

Jenise wrote: I regard this as a relatively serious case of smuggling. ..... avoiding $3,800 of duty on very expensive wine most of the public doesn't have the privilege of tasting."

eh? So how does pouring it down the drain help the public taste it?

Jenise wrote:
Some bottles the judge mentioned in his ruling are listed on the Internet at $600 each.

Ahh, the internet is always a very reliable source for basing judicial decisions.

But surely they were worth what was actually paid for them?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:06 am

I really love Canada - EXCEPT for their ultra-protectionist border policies. If I could get my wine colleciton in there without having to sell 2/3 of it I would move to Canada. Ah well.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:16 am

Jenise wrote:

Dunnigan also noted that the offender forfeited the smuggled bottles of wine. They were poured down the drain by Canadian Border Services Agency personnel.

I never understand the stupidity of governments: a $5000 penalty to a homeless shelter, whereas I am sure they could have recieved even More if they put this up to bid. Idiots.
no avatar
User

R Cabrera

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:14 pm

NYC

by R Cabrera » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:04 pm

Jenise wrote:...
Yap was caught Oct. 14,2006, when he crossed back into Canada at the Coutts port of entry.

It took 3 years for this case to be adjudicated?
Ramon Cabrera
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:23 pm

Agree with others about the stupidity of pouring it down the drain.

Plenty of auctions here for goods seized or lost. Let the guy bid for it at auction with all the others.

regards

Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

by John S » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:26 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:I really love Canada - EXCEPT for their ultra-protectionist border policies. If I could get my wine colleciton in there without having to sell 2/3 of it I would move to Canada. Ah well.

Actually, I belive that if you are moving to Canada and are staying a minimum amount of time (one year?), you are allowed to bring in a fair amount of wine duty free for personal use.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:53 am

John S wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:I really love Canada - EXCEPT for their ultra-protectionist border policies. If I could get my wine colleciton in there without having to sell 2/3 of it I would move to Canada. Ah well.

Actually, I belive that if you are moving to Canada and are staying a minimum amount of time (one year?), you are allowed to bring in a fair amount of wine duty free for personal use.

Well John that is part of the solution. Good going!!
The rest of your cellar David can be listed as sample product for the Rics Grill chain here in Alberta and BC. That should do it!
no avatar
User

Mark Kogos

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:16 am

Sydney Australia

by Mark Kogos » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:11 am

Actually, I am fairly sure the occupants of the homeless shelter would have preferred the bottles of wine.
Miss dhem Saints.
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:06 am

Mark Kogos wrote:Actually, I am fairly sure the occupants of the homeless shelter would have preferred the bottles of wine.

hic*cup
no avatar
User

Fredrik L

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:54 pm

by Fredrik L » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:11 pm

Being in the European Union gives me the possibility to visit 26 other countries and bring home as many bottles as I wish for personal consumption! :D

Greetings from Sweden / Fredrik L
no avatar
User

Alan Gardner

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:41 pm

Toronto

by Alan Gardner » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:29 am

John S wrote:

Not any longer - at least in Ontario!
That rule was changed (by regulation only, not ever published in Ontario Gazette) several years back. That 'exemption' has gone.
no avatar
User

Alan Gardner

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:41 pm

Toronto

by Alan Gardner » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:45 am

Jenise wrote:...across the U.S. border, that is.

Smuggling verdict against Vancouver man a $5,000 boost to Calgary food bank

The discussion overlooks a significant issue (or two)!

This was a VANCOUVER (British Columbia) man bringing wine into ALBERTA.

In Canada wine is a Provincial responsibility - he stupidly didn't pay the 5% Federal tax on the value. But "in theory" he also avoided a 100%+ PROVINCIAL levy (Alberta doesn't tax wine Provincially - as an importation (different matter at retail)).

Also (and more significantly to me) is the issue that he 'declared' the wine - just not its true value. I stand to be corrected (again?) - but this seems to expand the definition of smuggling. Even if you declare a product , but underestimate its value, then you are now subject to confiscation (rather than just a fine). i.e. the penalty for 'fraud' is now the same as the penalty for 'smuggling'.

Does that mean they can now confiscate anything I (and millions of others) fail to 'fully' value when crossing the border?

And if you think I'm getting paranoid here, I was recently pulled over for failing to declare an importation of 'dairy products' - a box of chocolates! Actually I DID declare it - which was why I was pulled over - I had checked the box on the form to say I WASN'T bringing in any dairy or vegetable products. (To be fair, the secondary customs agent just waved me through).
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:15 am

Well if I was ever to move north of the border I would go for Alberta or BC, so Ontario's draconian provincial laws would not apply.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

by John S » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:12 pm

When it comes to alcohol, there are lots of draconian laws to go around in Canada!