The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: '02 Standing Stone Pinnacle

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Joe Moryl

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:38 pm

New Jersey, USA

WTN: '02 Standing Stone Pinnacle

by Joe Moryl » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:38 pm

2002 Pinnacle, Standing Stone Vineyards, Finger Lakes: This is a Bordeaux blend that is usually around 80% Cabernet Sauvignon, with the balance Merlot and Cab. Franc. The Finger Lakes is not a prime spot to look for a decent CS based wine, but this one tends to be worthwhile in most vintages. Looks good: dark ruby color with just a hint of brick. Spicy on the nose with cigar box and pencil shaving aromas, perhaps some mint? Really nice palate impression: some brambly black current but more tobacco with hints of licorice and prunes. Only enough bell pepper to make things interesting, with well resolved silky tannins. Decent lenght and finish. Very solid for a wine of this type. 13.1 % abv.

Why did I open this? A few nights ago I opened a young white (2007) with a synthetic cork and found it to be a dark gold and very oxidized - not at all what was expected. Looking for a red tonight, I realized that Standing Stone use the apalling 'Supremecorq' in the early 2000s and that maybe this wine would be past it. While it might be a bit more advanced that one might expect, it is clear a more tannic red can hold up to the premature oxidation that is the bane of these synthetic corks. Message to Standing Stone: go back to cork or get a screwcap machine - your wines deserve better!