The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Women and Cabs in NYC

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

WTN: Women and Cabs in NYC

by Diane (Long Island) » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:01 am

Last evening, 5 of us enjoyed the warmth and camaraderie of sharing a bunch of suberb wines with Merrill Linquist, vintner of EMH Vineyards Black Cat Cabernet Sauvignon.

To start us off, Cheryl provided us with a 1996 Pol Roger Winston Churchill - this was an extraordinary bottle that made me stop in mid conversation. On the nose was a lovely aroma of fresh baked brioche. The palate added orange rind to the brioche flavor, and was soft and balanced, young, and delicious.

We then poured a couple of Cabs - one from Napa, and one from Bordeaux.
1998 Leoville Las Cases - this had a wow nose. I could not stop smelling it, and I feared the palate would not live up to the nose. As it turned out, the palate lacked the power that the nose exuded, but was still attractive with floral and fruit that became more lush with time in the glass. It had a beautiful finish, and was an ideal accompaniment to the baby lamb chops. 1985 Shafer Hillside Select - the nose started out mute, but developed pretty aromas of tobacco and black cherry. There was a little thinness on the palate, but it was fresh tasting with sweet fruit, and I enjoyed both of these wines.

With our steaks, we drank three of Merrill's wines. First was the 2001 Black Cat -I first tasted this at Merrill's home in Napa. This bottle was just as elegant. It was understated with a core of sweet raspberries, great balance and complexity. This bottle was drained in no time. 2002 Black Cat - an explosive nose brimming with dark cherries and spice. Big, bold, and succulent. 2007 Black Cat - young and primary showing milk chocolate and dark fruit. Tight and concentrated, you can't help but love it, and hope that it eventually turns into an elegant wine similar to the 2001.

Thank you, Merrill, for providing an excuse for us to get together, and safe trip home.
Diane
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Re: WTN: Women and Cabs in NYC

by JC (NC) » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:00 pm

And I thought you were going to post about problems with taxicab drivers! I should have known! Thanks for the notes. One female radio wine broadcaster touts Shafer as one of her favorite cabs.