The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Not your nonna's trebbiano

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

WTN: Not your nonna's trebbiano

by Mark S » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:52 pm

Masciarelli, Trebbiano d'Abruzzo, 'Marina Cvetic', 2005
Deeply burnished gold color, with lots of lanolin and lemon-filled oak spice, this oily-textured wine full of lanolin and overt oak would make me think Bordeaux blanc if tasted blind. Does maintain decent acidity. 14.5% Perhaps trebbiano is the chardonnay of Italy, as it's winemakers can see fit to make it in any style they want. Good with salmon and turnip gratin, even if not quite what I expected. Overpriced though, selling upwards of $50US. B+/A-
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

Re: WTN: Not your nonna's trebbiano

by Carl Eppig » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:31 pm

And their everyday bottling is not too shabby either, and a great bargain.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

Re: WTN: Not your nonna's trebbiano

by Ian Sutton » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:05 pm

Carl
I'm not sure whether the wine I've listed (with TN) below is the standard bottling or perhaps is a 3rd varietal Trebbiano?

Masciarelli Trebbiano Castello di Semivicoli 2006 Late harvested, but not that you’d realise. The nose is subtle and slightly herby. There is some complexity, but this is perhaps a little too neutral. Would perhaps come into it’s own with food.

At the same tasting, I also tried their Villa Gemma bianco, which has some Chardonnay in the blend to support the Trebbiano.

regards

Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster