The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Gobs of Gobelsburg

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Charles Weiss

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:47 pm

Boston

Gobs of Gobelsburg

by Charles Weiss » Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:11 pm

• 2005 Schloss Gobelsburg Riesling Gobelsburger - Austria, Niederösterreich, Kamptal (8/23/2006)
    Young and fresh and not as thoroughly enjoyable as the 2004 was last week. However, suspect it will calm down and have the same excellent balance, refreshing acid with subsumed floral notes. I don't know if grapefruits have blossoms, but if so they might taste like this. If it weren't for the 2005 gruner, I'd be going on more about this one.
  • 2005 Schloss Gobelsburg Grüner Veltliner Gobelsburger - Austria, Niederösterreich, Kamptal (8/22/2006)
    Delicious. Incredibly fresh and refreshing but full of real varietal character including black pepper that adds to invigorating impression. Great QPR.

Posted from CellarTracker
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: Gobs of Gobelsburg

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:09 am

That GV is a winner eh Charles?
no avatar
User

Jan-Tore Egge

Rank

Cellar rat

Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:18 am

Lillehammer, Norway

by Jan-Tore Egge » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:17 pm

They are lovely wines, aren't they? And terrific value.
no avatar
User

Charles Weiss

Rank

Ultra geek

Boston

by Charles Weiss » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:43 pm

The 2004 Gobelsburg GV Lamm is packed with flavors, both vegetable and mineral ("animale" would complete the categories). It's in a higher price niche, but is one to put away and has impressive length, and still a very good value for what it is.
Charles
Charles Weiss
no avatar
User

Mike B.

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:56 am

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

by Mike B. » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:49 am

I just had the Gobelsburg GV at a tasting of Gruner Veltliners and Rieslings the other week. The Gobelsburger was the standout for me.

Bob was there, too.

Honeysuckle on the nose; flinty and minerally and on the palate tied together with some nice citrus flavours. And bone dry, too.

Excellent QPR wine. It was in the $15 range, which is great for here.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:50 pm

Thanks! I've been impressed by the 04s so I'm glad to hear the 05s are a success. Hopefully we'll see the '05s soon here!
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:50 am

Charles Weiss wrote:The 2004 Gobelsburg GV Lamm is packed with flavors, both vegetable and mineral ("animale" would complete the categories). It's in a higher price niche, but is one to put away and has impressive length, and still a very good value for what it is.
Charles

How about the oak on this?

Had a bottle tonight and it was difficult to find the GV elements, oak was too center stage for my tastes.

Just a phase?
no avatar
User

Charles Weiss

Rank

Ultra geek

Boston

by Charles Weiss » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:38 am

Rahsaan,
Didn't see it.
Charles
Charles Weiss
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:49 am

Rahsaan wrote:
Charles Weiss wrote:The 2004 Gobelsburg GV Lamm is packed with flavors, both vegetable and mineral ("animale" would complete the categories). It's in a higher price niche, but is one to put away and has impressive length, and still a very good value for what it is.
Charles

How about the oak on this?

Had a bottle tonight and it was difficult to find the GV elements, oak was too center stage for my tastes.

Just a phase?

Indeed a phase (though I never seem to find the oak elements in this or Brundlmayer's Alte Reben to be dominant).

For all of these wines the 2006s are stunning. I had the 2006 Gobelsburg Lamm a few days ago, and was knocked back by its concentration, length and balance. Great wine.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dan Smothergill

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:24 pm

Syracuse, NY

by Dan Smothergill » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:08 pm

Delighted to hear all these good things about the GV and Riesling. Both are part of our January tasting. http://www.wineloverspage.com/forum/village/viewtopic.php?t=12019&highlight=austrian
Last edited by Dan Smothergill on Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:42 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Indeed a phase (though I never seem to find the oak elements in this or Brundlmayer's Alte Reben to be dominant)..

That's good to hear, although doesn't necessarily help me because I only had 1 bottle :D

But, it is worth knowing.

And, as I said, it didn't come across as Oak Soup, but it had much less expression than the 05 Gobelsburg GV Lamm for example, which I had the night before.