The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away

by David M. Bueker » Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:39 pm

There was a man named Sean who made some of the most interesting wines in California. Well one year he got a hold of some Roussanne, but there wasn't enough wine to release it. Well the next year he got some more, but there wasn't enough to release that one either. So what did he do? Well he combined the wines from 1995 and 1996 and released (to his friendly mailing list customers) the blended version in tall, unlabelled bottles.

Well one poor soul went looking in the spot where he thought to find his last bottle of Pleiades X, only to find a bottle without a label. Well now he thought, I can spring this on my unsuspecting friends when I have a party. So the bottle went into the fridge to await the party day.

The party came and went, much fun was had by all. But lo and behold the bottle was still there. Oops. I forgot to abuse my friends the man said.

So what was left to do but open it. And you know what. It wasn't bad at all. Sure there was a little heat on the finish, but there was creamy peach fruit, some lovely nutty aromas and flavors and all in all a good drink ifyou can forgive a few minor warts on a 10 year old NV wine.

And so the tale of the 1995/1996 Sean Thackrey Alban Vineyard Roussanne finally ended, happily ever after.

Of course was it really Roussanne...
Decisions are made by those who show up