The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Quick WTNs: Two Hands Moscato 06, Eldridge Chardonnay 04, Kracher Auslese 03

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Cam Wheeler

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed May 17, 2006 7:01 pm

Sydney, Australia

Quick WTNs: Two Hands Moscato 06, Eldridge Chardonnay 04, Kracher Auslese 03

by Cam Wheeler » Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:27 am

Two Hands "Brilliant Disguise" 2006
The nose is bursting with lime, mango, floral notes and tropical fruit. The light fizz leads the wine into a dance across the palate. A delicate sweetness with a hint at depth of flavour. Delicious drinking and I wish I had more for summer! I was told to write, "Anjuli's favourite wine ever".
90/100

Eldridge Estate Chardonnay 2004
A pale yellow colour. Minerally nose, with macadamia nuts, browned butter, lemon and signs of beautifully judged oak use sitting in the background. The palate has good intensity of flavour and good length, it is also balanced and focussed except for a slight citrusy tang towards the finish. Really calls out to be paired with food in order to shine.
89/100

Kracher Muskat Ottonel Auslese 2003
Musk, violets, citrus peel and marmalade on a rather off-beat nose. The palate is also slightly out of the ordinary, with just a hint of rich sweetness, an oily viscous mouth-feel, lacking any real depth of flavour and the finish dropping away suddenly. Something a bit different, although I doubt I would purchase again (Anjuli really hated this wine).
86/100
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

Re: Quick WTNs: Two Hands Moscato 06, Eldridge Chardonnay 04, Kracher Auslese 03

by Ian Sutton » Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:21 am

Cam Wheeler wrote:Two Hands "Brilliant Disguise" 2006
The nose is bursting with lime, mango, floral notes and tropical fruit. The light fizz leads the wine into a dance across the palate. A delicate sweetness with a hint at depth of flavour. Delicious drinking and I wish I had more for summer! I was told to write, "Anjuli's favourite wine ever".
90/100

Cam
Sounds good, albeit more obviously fruity than Moscato D'Asti. I presume there was balancing acidity? (This was my big issue with the Brown Bro's Moscato - no acidity made it awfully dull and fat).
regards
Ian
no avatar
User

Cam Wheeler

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed May 17, 2006 7:01 pm

Sydney, Australia

Re: Quick WTNs: Two Hands Moscato 06, Eldridge Chardonnay 04, Kracher Ausles

by Cam Wheeler » Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:51 pm

Ian Sutton wrote:Sounds good, albeit more obviously fruity than Moscato D'Asti. I presume there was balancing acidity? (This was my big issue with the Brown Bro's Moscato - no acidity made it awfully dull and fat).
regards
Ian

Hi Ian,

Yes, there was a nice core of balancing acidity. I have been told that some of the grapes for this wine are sourced from 80-100 year old vines, so I think that may add that touch of depth of flavour to the palate as well.

I have a fairly strong dislike for the Brown Brothers version (at least the couple of vintages I have tried), although it is less than 1/3rd the price of the Two Hands (under $10AUD for 750ml vs $22AUD for 500ml)