The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

When to harvest...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jim Cassidy

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:00 pm

Salt Lake City

When to harvest...

by Jim Cassidy » Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:52 pm

Once more, winemakers. When do I pick these ...

Cabs - Brix is 22.7 pH is 3.2 and the TA is .79

Zins - Brix is 18.2 pH is 3.4 and TA is .71 or .6 (tested with different batches of reagent.)

Weather is going to hell Monday. Rain Monday and Wednesday, more than 1/4" predicted; temps will be in the low-mid sixties as we dry out Thursday to Sunday. Probably dry and about that temp for a few days after that.

We are inclined to pick the cabs tomorrow afternoon. Really undecided on the zins - pick now and add suger, or wait a week or ten days and maybe have to add acid...? All opinions will be appreciated.

TIA
Jim Cassidy

Owner, Millcreek Vineyards

(The prettiest vineyard in the Salt Lake Valley)
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: When to harvest...

by Howie Hart » Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:55 pm

Personally, I'd pick the Zin now and add sugar at the rate that 1 cup uf sugar will raise 5 gallons of juice 1 degree brix. Keep in mind that this is for juice, not must, so 5 gallons of must after pressing is about 4 gallons of juice. The acid is right where you want it. For the Cab, you could ever wait a week on those until after the rain and it dries out.
no avatar
User

Alan Wolfe

Rank

On Time Out status

Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:34 am

West Virginia

Re: When to harvest...

by Alan Wolfe » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:49 pm

I think the most important factor in judging harvest time is pH. Other things matter, of course, but I like to pick at pH = 3.6 or lower. Some hybrid varieties, notably Foch and Baco, should hang for a longer time in my opinion, and with those two varieties only I like to see a pH nearer 4.0 than 3.6.

My best guess is that you will have to harvest your Zin soon, and settle for less sugar than you might like. The Cab can probably hang for another week or two, which will permit the acid to drop to a more favorable level without increasing the pH too much.

Your Zin TA shouldn't vary that much, even with different batches of reagent. There is a simple way to compensate for old reagents using potassium acid phthalate and a correction factor that you might find useful.

Good luck to you.

Best
no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:48 am

Stockholm, Sweden

Juice and must?

by Anders Källberg » Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:33 am

Howie, could you please enlighten me: what's the difference between juice and must? Just curious to know.
Cheers, Anders
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Re: Juice and must?

by Bob Henrick » Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:03 am

Anders, here is what I found to be the answer as to what must is:

Must:
The combination of basic ingredients, both solid and liquid, from which wine is made. The liquid content of must is called liquor or simply juice, while the solids, when pushed to the surface by rising carbon dioxide, is called the cap. When the alcohol content reaches 8 or 9%, the liquid component is more accurately referred to as wine.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:04 am

Hi Anders - Juice is the juice from fresh pressed grapes, generally to make white wine. Must is crushed and destemmed grapes that are not pressed, generally used for red wine. Generally, reds are not pressed until after fermenting on the skins, usually a week or two. It's my experience that about 20-25% of the volume in must is lost after pressing. However, some presshouses use a hot-press method, which heats up the red must to extract the color, then press it and sell it as red juice. After fresh grapes, I prefer using must.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:35 am

Howie Hart wrote:It's my experience that about 20-25% of the volume in must is lost after pressing.

Howie, would you say that this figure represents the loss with a wine press? I hate to think what kind of number I'm getting since I don't even have a press and must press my juice out using a sieve and plastic gloves over a bucket!
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:55 am

Yes that's reds with a wine press. Whites are higher, as they are much harder to press.
no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:48 am

Stockholm, Sweden

by Anders Källberg » Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:38 am

Thanks Howie and Bob. Good to know, in particular the day my Riesling vine will start to bear grapes...
Cheers, Anders
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:20 pm

Howie, it sounds like my answer to Anders was full of misinformation. Glad I said I was not you, and not a winemaker.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Jim Cassidy

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:00 pm

Salt Lake City

Just harvested the "Old Vine" zins...

by Jim Cassidy » Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:08 pm

Thanks for the input Howie and Alan.

Got about 95 lbs. of fruit from our 5 zins, which are now all of 4 years old (plus maybe two before we bought them in 2 gal. containers.) I think maybe next year we read a little closer about thinning bunches right after the fruit sets! We are kind of stunned about how much friut there actually is. I read somewhere that 2-3 botttles per plant is what is expected. Not sure, but I think we might go over that on these plants this year.

Will post later with numbers from the must.
Jim Cassidy

Owner, Millcreek Vineyards

(The prettiest vineyard in the Salt Lake Valley)