The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: A GrüVe and a Muscadet

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jim Jones in Tokyo

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:16 am

Tokyo, Japan

TN: A GrüVe and a Muscadet

by Jim Jones in Tokyo » Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:41 am

• 2004 Domaine de la Louvetrie (Pierre Landron & Fils) Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine Sur Lie - France, Loire Valley, Pays Nantais, Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine (10/1/2006)
    With spinach-feta quesadillas. Very bright and clear light straw. Stone, shell, apple and citrus on the nose. With time a bit of salty sea tang comes out. Palate is just as bright and clear as the wine looks, with good acid and bright and ever-so-slightly-sweet lemon/apple/pear fruit. Finish brings out more seashell, sea air, and a little bitter herb. Too many words would ruin the wine. Just drink and enjoy. A screaming deal at ~$10 Tokyo retail!
  • 2001 Sepp Moser Grüner Veltliner Gebling - Austria, Niederösterreich, Kremstal (9/25/2006)
    With bleu cheese enchiladas with a very light jalapeno sauce. Light straw yellow and clear. Nose of gravel, pepper, herb, and peachy apple, with a bit of high-toned tropical citrus. The citrus note is odd, as all other elements present as very low register. No displeasing, but a bit odd in a slightly disjointed way. Palate is rich and full, with substantial body and a little less acid than I had hoped for to match the dish and with much less complexity than the nose. Finishes a bit short. Not a bad match and not a bad wine (particularly given the price point), but there are better choices out there in GrüVe land.

Posted from CellarTracker
Jim Jones
Tokyo, Japan
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: TN: A GrüVe and a Muscadet

by Jenise » Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:51 am

Jim, as a cook, I could send the entire day contemplating what might go into a blue cheese enchilada with light jalapeno sauce, and as a wine lover I could kill just as much time pondering the possible wine matches for same. The Gruner is an interesting choice.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jim Jones in Tokyo

Rank

Wine geek

Tokyo, Japan

by Jim Jones in Tokyo » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:29 am

Jenise:

Enchiladas were good but not great. Selecting the GrüVe to drink with them was easy. This was off the somewhat young, ripe, modern focused list in the casual bar at the American Club here. Not much on the list that presented an alternative with this dish. With a little more acid, would have been a great match. Good match as it was.

Jim
Jim Jones
Tokyo, Japan
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:00 pm

Looks like I am hooked on Muscadet!! This is one combo I would not have thought of Jim. Spinach-feta mix interesting and easy to do at home.
We all think of muskydec as a shellfish wine period.
no avatar
User

Jim Jones in Tokyo

Rank

Wine geek

Tokyo, Japan

by Jim Jones in Tokyo » Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:35 pm

Bob:

While I think Muscadet is one of the great shellfish wines (along with some BdB Champers, mature/maturing dry/demi Vouvray, Coteaux de Champenoise Blanc, etc.), I also find it incredibly versatile.

I don't drink a lot of wine without food, but I love Muscadet as an apertif wine as well as with a broad range of foods. I just wish I saw more variety in the market here.

I would normally think of a good, clean Pouilly Fumé or Sancerre or such as the ideal compement to the spinach/feta dish, but this worked very well.

And, yes, the dish is extremely easy and fast.

Jim
Jim Jones
Tokyo, Japan
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:00 pm

Thanks for that Jim! Do you think that the style of Muscadet has changed over the past, say, ten years? I always remember the bracing acidity from the wines I drank in my youth! Maybe I was drinking the wrong stuff or have the local vigneronnes progressed in their vinification methods?
Keep those notes acoming!