The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Weingut Erich Bender

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Weingut Erich Bender

by Bob Henrick » Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:47 pm

I have been on a wine hiatus for the past 10 days or so, but even so, I stopped and looked through my local BAWS today, and found this on the close out shelf in a 375. A Pfalz 2001 Erich Bender Huxelrebe Beerenauslese, and the price was only $8. I have zero experience with the Huxelrebe, but a Goggle search assure me that Herr Bender uses this grape and Sheurebe, to produce his finest wines. If anyone on the forum has any knowledge of the wine please fill me in. Thanks.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

Re: Weingut Erich Bender

by Bob Henrick » Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:21 pm

Bumping it up once.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Arnt Egil Nordlien

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:49 pm

Oslo

by Arnt Egil Nordlien » Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:27 pm

Well not much info, but since no one else answers.

FYI Huxelrebe is one of the many crossings made in Germany to grow varietals that ripens earlier. It is not one of the best crosses and not one of the worst. From what I have tasted of Huxelrebe it is much used to produce wines of high prädikats, often BA or TBA. It is quite neutral in taste, but can develop some complexity with age. The acidity is fairly good so cellaring 5-10 years can be a good thing.

Weingut Erich Bender is unfortunately not known to me and a little search resulted in no hits. So I don't think he should be recognized among the top producers of Pfalz.
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:34 pm

On the other hand, who can resist wine made by a person named "Bender"? I'm surprised it doesn't come in jug sizes.

Walt
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:25 pm

Arnt Egil Nordlien wrote:Weingut Erich Bender is unfortunately not known to me and a little search resulted in no hits. So I don't think he should be recognized among the top producers of Pfalz.

Thank you Arnt, I too am not familiar with the Weingut Bender, and only slightly familiar with the grape in question. I have searched the web for this producer and found the web page of Herr Bender, (in German) and the importers (Chapin Cellars) which give a fairly glowing take in the wine. I guess I was hoping to get a read on the wine, from someone here who had actually tasted it, but at $8 for a 2001 BA I can dump it if it is not worth drinking.
Bob Henrick