The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Spanish, Italian whites, cheap Pomerol, Champers

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Spanish, Italian whites, cheap Pomerol, Champers

by Dale Williams » Sat May 21, 2011 12:03 pm

So we fly back in Wed, but Betsy's cousin and her husband arrive same day for a short visit. We welcome them before dinner with the NV  Pehu Simonet Grand Cru Brut. A bit of a creamy edge, decent acids, a little short. OK, but not looking to buy more. B-

Dinner was artic char over soba in a  Meyer lemondressing, with spinach on the side.

2006 Castellroig Terroja de Sabate i Coca Xarello
Lemon, orange zest, chalky. Big, balanced, quite a nice wine, I could drink this regularly. B+

2007 Feudi di San Gregorio Falanghina (Sannio) 375 ml
I've had mixed luck with this batch of halves, but this is a nice bottle- good acidity, crisp fruit, almond nuttiness. B

Betsy spent day in city at luthier and then with cousin at MOMA, when she came home I had dinner almost ready- grilled lamb chops and squash, she was in charge of sauteeing the mushrooms.

2009 Martinsancho Verdejo
Nice, ripe but not flabby, a bit grassy (you could tell me this was SB and I'd have believed it), no apparent oak, tropical/pineapple and citrus, good length. B/B+

2007 Ch. Plince (Pomerol)
Hey, not bad for $10 Pomerol. Blackcurrant, cocoa, tannins a bit hard, mediumbodied, not real long, but fine for price. B-

with pasta with clams and cherry tomatoes, the 2008 Pieropan Soave (screwcap). Green apples, lemon, flowers and a light nutty edge on nose. Very food friendly, nice wine/ B/B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Spanish, Italian whites, cheap Pomerol, Champers

by Jenise » Sun May 22, 2011 9:33 am

I've had other vintages of that verdejo, and found it very inconsistent. Either too ripe and tropical, or austere and heavy on acids like a vermentino where what I hope for is somewhere in the middle.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: Spanish, Italian whites, cheap Pomerol, Champers

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:56 pm

From archives.

Just opened the `11 Martinsancho, seems to deliver but will see what developes. I am on a verdejo run right now as you can see!