The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN(23 grape cuvee): 2005 Tour Boisee 'Plantation 1905'

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

TN(23 grape cuvee): 2005 Tour Boisee 'Plantation 1905'

by Bill Hooper » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:02 pm

This is made by one of my favorite Minervois producers. The wine is a single vineyard blend of 23 different varieties (red and white) planted in 1905 that was recently discovered, overgrown and out of control. Apparently, It is a cuvee of the usual (and not so usual) suspects including a few vines that are not presently identifiable! It is a time capsule of wine created at the turn of the century in Minervois. The wine is a little rustic (a departure from the usual reductive style of the maker). It still shows nice tart cherry fruit, strawberry, macintosh apple, raspberry seeds and wild flowers, herbes de Provence and nice acidity. Mineral? not much but maybe a little mushroomy bret. Delicious! 13.5% alcohol -I don't remember what I paid, but certainly under $20 -and worth every nickle!

Prost!
Bill
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: TN(23 grape cuvee): 2005 Tour Boisee 'Plantation 1905'

by Saina » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:21 am

Bill Hooper wrote:This is made by one of my favorite Minervois producers. The wine is a single vineyard blend of 23 different varieties (red and white) planted in 1905 that was recently discovered, overgrown and out of control. Apparently, It is a cuvee of the usual (and not so usual) suspects including a few vines that are not presently identifiable! It is a time capsule of wine created at the turn of the century in Minervois. The wine is a little rustic (a departure from the usual reductive style of the maker). It still shows nice tart cherry fruit, strawberry, macintosh apple, raspberry seeds and wild flowers, herbes de Provence and nice acidity. Mineral? not much but maybe a little mushroomy bret. Delicious! 13.5% alcohol -I don't remember what I paid, but certainly under $20 -and worth every nickle!

Prost!
Bill

Sounds like the sort of freakish concoction that I would love! I love a degree of rusticity. I hope it's available in the EU so I can give it a try.

-Otto-(anticipating a long session on winesearcher!)
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

Re: TN(23 grape cuvee): 2005 Tour Boisee 'Plantation 1905'

by Bill Hooper » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:37 pm

[quote="Otto NieminenI hope it's available in the EU so I can give it a try.

-Otto-(anticipating a long session on winesearcher!)[/quote]

Otto,

I believe Chateau Tour Boisee in general is available in Britain, and I'm certain Plantation 1905 is available in France.

Happy hunting, it's worth the effort!

Prost!
Bill