The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2 From Les Champeaux: 99 Mortet & 02 Fourrier

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

WTN: 2 From Les Champeaux: 99 Mortet & 02 Fourrier

by Jason Hagen » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:59 pm

2002 Domain Fourrier Gevrey-Chambertin (Les Champeaux)VV:
Pretty ruby color. At first there seemed to be a little reduction on the nose but it faded quickly. Lots of earthy smoke and dark fruits. At first taste there is so much sweet fruit and then the wine tightens up and closes off. As the evening went on the wine started to loosen up but it is clearly young. There is nice spice on this wine as well. Very clean and pure. Plenty of acid. I really liked this and have high hopes that in the years to come it will be very pleasurable. I’ll keep my hands off for 5 years. 92 pts

1999 Denis Mortet Gevrey-Chambertin (Les Champeaux):

As one could imagine with Mortet’s style, this was drinking really well and high on the Yum factor. Lots of fruit and cinnamon on the nose. This is more on the hedonistic side than the Fourrier but there is still plenty of balance and acid. Normally I would look for more complexity and flowery elegance but this was so damn tasty that I can’t knock it. Well I guess the knock would be the price. I think I with this type of profile could be found for much less. 92 pts

Cheers,

Jason
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: 2 From Les Champeaux: 99 Mortet & 02 Fourrier

by Jenise » Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:30 pm

Interesting comparison. I really really should buy more Burgundy, but I get so lost there. I have trouble figuring out and remembering who is supposed to be good at what and in what vintage. I tend to buy when I run into something that someone just mentioned, for instance I bought some Henri Gouges within a week of reading that a wine by this producer was Mark Vlossak's inspiration. Had another week passed....
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov