The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

What are your favorite wine shops in your area?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: What are your favorite wine shops in your area?

by Brian K Miller » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:17 am

Mike Filigenzi (Sacto) wrote:In our area, I'll echo what Brian said about Nugget Market. They take their wine very seriously. And any poor wine geek who ends up marooned in Sacto owes it to him- or herself to check out Corti Brothers. Not a huge selection, but it is one of the most interesting group of wines you'll find under one tent. They have stuff there that you most certainly will not find anywhere else in the world.

Of course, in the Bay Area, you have K&L, Beltramo's, Kermit Lynch, Wine Club, etc......

Mike

It's small and may not have bargain prices, but I am increasingly impressed with 58 Degrees on 18th Street in Midtown. They had a very nice Cab tasting last fall that turned me onto some odd ones that I found fascinating (Domus Aurae from Chile is just bizarre but delicious) The staff seems to enjoy wine, too-they're not just cashiers (or trying merely to make a quick sale)
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

ClarkDGigHbr

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Gig Harbor, WA

by ClarkDGigHbr » Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:24 am

I'll add my voice to Pete's in Bellevue and Esquin in Seattle.

When you are in the Santa Clara area, be sure to check out The Wine Club. It's near the San Jose Airport. They also have two other California locations, which I have not visited.

-- Clark
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:49 am

Brian K Miller wrote:It's small and may not have bargain prices, but I am increasingly impressed with 58 Degrees on 18th Street in Midtown. They had a very nice Cab tasting last fall that turned me onto some odd ones that I found fascinating (Domus Aurae from Chile is just bizarre but delicious) The staff seems to enjoy wine, too-they're not just cashiers (or trying merely to make a quick sale)

I got over there for the first time last week and I really liked it, too. Pretty good prices, interesting wine selection, and as you say, the staff really seems interested in what they're selling.

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:59 am

In the Houston,TX area...

The best is "Spec's". They are all over town and have great prices.

There some over-priced Boutique shops around. But if you can't find what you need in the outlying Spec's..then the Smith street (downtown) location will probably have what you need.

Richard
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:29 pm

Fayetteville, NC has Bob's Wine Shop (limited selection and usually a bit higher price than the grocery store for the same wine) and at least one new contender I haven't visited yet. Harris-Teeter has the best grocery store inventory.
I usually shop at CAROLINA WINE COMPANY in Raleigh (either in person about once a month) or by phone or Internet from their e-mailings. They have frequent tastings (particularly Saturdays), some free and some with a fee. They also have a temperature-controlled warehouse and will store the wine for up to six months at no charge. And the owner is a fan of both red and white Burgundies which pleases me. Selections in some areas (Oregon, Germany, etc.) are more limiting.
I have also tried THE WINE MERCHANT and TOTAL WINE and SEABOARD WINE WAREHOUSE AND WINE BAR in Raleigh. All have some good points; some limitations. I can easily overspend my budget in any of these shops.
In Ann Arbor, MI I like VILLAGE CORNER.
In DC I go most frequently to MACARTHUR'S BEVERAGES (Bassin's) but have also purchased at CALVERT-WOODLEY.
no avatar
User

Rod Miller

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:52 pm

El Dorado, CA

by Rod Miller » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:25 am

Lakeforest Wines, 2222 Francisco Drive #230 in El Dorado Hills, CA has great tastings and great selection of Napa wines. Had Opus One before Christmas in their weekly tasting. They have good prices too. Nice owners.
May all beings find happiness and the causes of happiness!!!!
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:38 am

In my neck of the woods (the Triad) we have:

City Beverage, which sells a good variety of beer and wine. Twice a year they have a tent sale where you can get some great buys. We ended up with a mixed case for about $75.

Total Wine & More, huge selection, good prices, and usually good, informed service.

The Wine Merchant's Gourmet, a smaller store with a great selection of non-grocery store wines. They do free tastings every Saturday, wine and appetizer events once a month, plus other special events and seminars.

Carolina Winesellers, a small specialty wine shop. They carry decent selection of wines from CA, Europe, Australia, New Zealand, Chile, etc., as well as one of the largest selections of North Carolina wines in the area. They also have weekly tastings, and once a month wine & food pairing events.
Previous