The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Minerality in Wine: Fact, Fun or Fiction?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Minerality in Wine: Fact, Fun or Fiction?

by Jenise » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:25 pm

Victorwine wrote:Ian wrote,
What other words might be used as descriptors for mineral?

Besides those mentioned by Graham (“sour” and “bitter”) and Neil (“salty”) one can use “sweet”, or “savory”. I guess minerals dissolved in water and depending upon their concentration can contribute to all the “basic human taste sensations”.

Salute

A mineral taste I've run into--and not often, only when I'm very very lucky :)--is 'iron' which sometimes reminds me of the taste an iron skillet imparts to meat, and at other times which I might express as 'red dirt' as I can be reminded of the smell of red dirt stirred up by dust storms or pushed in front of a rain system headed my way. Well aged Ridge Monte Bellos often have that character. Somewhat related and also rare for me to run into but something I've run into more than once is 'clay', which is not playdough but more like 'terra cotta clay tile'--a term I remember using for a British Columbian Marechal Foch that tasted of that in a good way.

Btw, welcome back, Graham! It's good to see you again.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:36 pm

I forgot to mention 'vitamin'. It's something I run into in two ways, 1) the chewable type of multi-vitamin I was given as a child, and 2) more of a straight Vitamin B6 thing. Neither comes up real often, but often enough to not be rare or unique.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Graham R

Rank

Cellar rat

Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:53 am

Zurich Switzerland

by Graham R » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:18 pm

Jenise wrote:
Victorwine wrote:Ian wrote,
What other words might be used as descriptors for mineral?

Besides those mentioned by Graham (“sour” and “bitter”) and Neil (“salty”) one can use “sweet”, or “savory”. I guess minerals dissolved in water and depending upon their concentration can contribute to all the “basic human taste sensations”.

Salute

A mineral taste I've run into--and not often, only when I'm very very lucky :)--is 'iron' which sometimes reminds me of the taste an iron skillet imparts to meat, and at other times which I might express as 'red dirt' as I can be reminded of the smell of red dirt stirred up by dust storms or pushed in front of a rain system headed my way. Well aged Ridge Monte Bellos often have that character. Somewhat related and also rare for me to run into but something I've run into more than once is 'clay', which is not playdough but more like 'terra cotta clay tile'--a term I remember using for a British Columbian Marechal Foch that tasted of that in a good way.

Btw, welcome back, Graham! It's good to see you again.

Hi its nice to be back. I see some of the old names here still active.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:20 pm

Jenise wrote:
A mineral taste I've run into--and not often, only when I'm very very lucky :)--is 'iron' which sometimes reminds me of the taste an iron skillet imparts to meat,

Good point, Jenise. A few years ago, I read a scientific article in which they pinned down the molecules associated with "metallic" odors. What they found was that the smell we associate with metals is due to oils from our skin oxidizing on the surface of the metal (it acts as a catalyst) to produce oxidized fats that are responsible for the odor. This also explains why some fish can impart a "metallic" taste to wine: those same oxidized fats can be found in certain fish preparations (usually, smoked fish).

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Neil Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:39 pm

Auckland, New Zealand

by Neil Courtney » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:00 pm

Steve Slatcher wrote:
Dale Williams wrote:If so few mineral elements have taste, it's amazing to me that Gerolsteiner, Badoit, San pellegrino, Vittel , etc have such different profiles. I'd actually be much more confident in my blind tasting ability to nail mineral waters than wine (I freely admit I'm a pedestrian taster). I should organize a blind water tasting.

The results of blind watger tastings have been puiblished , by Decanter. The point was not to try to identify the waters, but they were scored - and London tap water outperformed most bottled waters, coming in at numnber 2 or 3 IIRC.

In a wine tasting course I went on many years ago we scored a glass of water a solid 10 on the 20 point scale.
Cheers,
Neil Courtney

'Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it.' --- Anonymous.
no avatar
User

Graham R

Rank

Cellar rat

Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:53 am

Zurich Switzerland

by Graham R » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:20 am

One thought on iron mentioned above. Professor Robert White has noted in various books that while iron is relatively abundant in many types of soils, its "form" is the most important thing. He pointed out in a long discussion on "Grape Radio" that if iron soils appear strongly red brown (ie rich in iron), such as the red slates in Germany, then this oxide form is not soluble in water and largely unavailable to the grape vine.

Although most rocks and for that matter mineral ions are almost tasteless, there are some rocks that do have taste. Geologists actually taste rocks to help identify them (so I understand).

Just found this list on a rockhounds website. Seems licking rocks can be interesting but also dangerous:

These are some of the more common minerals that have a significantly distinct taste:
◦Borax (sweet alkaline)
◦Chalcanthite (sweet metallic & slightly poisonous)
◦Epsomite (bitter)
◦Glauberite (bitter salty)
◦Halite (salty)
◦Hanksite (salty)
◦Melanterite (sweet, astringent and metallic)
◦Sylvite (bitter)
◦Ulexite (alkaline)
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:00 am

Just checking in to say what a great discussion here! The Brits were quite interested too...>

http://www.wine-pages.com/ubb/ultimateb ... 034055;p=2
no avatar
User

Neil Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:39 pm

Auckland, New Zealand

by Neil Courtney » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:04 pm

Here is what the Auswine forumites say about the subject.

http://forum.auswine.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12533
Cheers,
Neil Courtney

'Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it.' --- Anonymous.
Previous