The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Chalone Chard Estate '09..(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Chalone Chard Estate '09..(short/boring)

by TomHill » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:15 am

Tried Sat night w/ Susan & her friends:
1. Chalone Chard Chalone (EG; 843 Fr.oak barrels; 252,756 btls; "from a small vnyd", www.ChaloneVineyard.com) 2009: Light yellow color; light toasty/oak pleasant/simple melony/appley/Chard slight chalky somewhat dull/simple nose; tart lean/thin/bit washed out slight chalky/melony/appley/Chard light toasty/oak rather simple/boring flavor; light thin/lean/eviscerated light appley/melony/Chard slight chalky light toasty/oak finish; an utterly boring Chard that'll appeal to the AFWE; overpriced at $27.00 (AV)
1. As I was tasting this wine, all I could think was...."Ohhhhh...how the mighty have fallen". It was like seeing this hot-chick cheerleader that you had this huge crush on in high school out turning tricks on MetropolitanAve at 60 yrs of age.
Back in the '70's, Chalone was the iconic Calif Chard, a true cult item. Barrel frmtd in new Fr.oak, barrel aged in new Fr.oak, huge/intense fruit. Exactly the kind of Chard that all the hip wine gliterrati hold up as the poster child for bad Calif Chard. The greatest Calif Chard I ever had was the '68 Chalone at 20 yrs of age. They (the Chard, the PinotBlanc, the CheninBlanc) were truly monumental wines and DarrellCortii, as one of the investors, got his fair share and always saved some for me.
Since their sale to Diageo, they have been in a slow/steady decline. Since I hadn't tried a ChaloneChard in maybe 5-6 yrs, I thought it was time. Shouldn't have wasted my effort. Tasted like it was cropped at 10 tons/acre. It was scarcely better than the TraderJoe's Cosmia Sonoma Chard at $7.00. At 21,000 cases..."from a small vnyd"??? Who are they trying to kid? I have no inclination to try a Chalone wine ever again.
Tom