The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Minervois and red Loire

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Minervois and red Loire

by Dale Williams » Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:55 pm

Wednesday with a Lebanese meatloaf, the 2005 Ch. d'Oupia Minervois.
Medium-bodied but with both acidic and tannic structure, pepper overtones dancing over a good base of darker fruits. This seems more Syrah-like than other vintages. It's a little stern at first but opens nicely, and holds up well over 2 days. B+

And another Louis-Dressner import, the 2005 Pepiere "Cepage Cabernet" (VdP du Jardin de la France). I actually thought when I brought this up it was the Cuvee Granit, but it's a bottling I haven't tried before. So how is this red Muscadet? Damn tasty, actually. Balanced acidity, ripe red plum and raspberry fruit with a nice herby edge. A little friendlier now that the Minervois, also a B+

I usually think of the Minervois as an early drinker, but this one seems to maybe want to lie down for a couple of years. Both of these wines are excellent values for my tastes at about $10.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:06 pm

Re: WTN: Minervois and red Loire

by Bruce K » Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:02 pm

2005 Pepiere "Cepage Cabernet" (VdP du Jardin de la France). I actually thought when I brought this up it was the Cuvee Granit, but it's a bottling I haven't tried before.

Dale, rumor has it there was a bottling mix-up and the 2005 Cuvee Granit was put in "Cepage Cabernet" bottles. The Cuvee Granits I bought recently were in bottles with the "Cepage Cabernet" labels, but then a sticker was put on the bottles saying it was really the Cuvee Granit. I take it there was no extra sticker? If so, then you probably drank what the label said.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:11 pm

Bruce K wrote:Dale, rumor has it there was a bottling mix-up and the 2005 Cuvee Granit was put in "Cepage Cabernet" bottles. The Cuvee Granits I bought recently were in bottles with the "Cepage Cabernet" labels, but then a sticker was put on the bottles saying it was really the Cuvee Granit. I take it there was no extra sticker? If so, then you probably drank what the label said.

I got a sticker'd bottle AND an unsticker'd one from Chambers Street and I'm <i>still</i> trying to figure out what I had!

Got the '05 Oupia resting, too, from a more recent shipment ... glad to have Dale's report!
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:33 pm

Bruce and Robin.
my confusion was just the label looks a lot like the Granit. My bottle has no sticker, and a check of the original email receipt shows the Cabernet Franc was what I ordered. So I'm guessing it is the Cepage Cabernet