The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Grosset Sadie Wolf Blass Hardy Vergelegen

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

WTN: Grosset Sadie Wolf Blass Hardy Vergelegen

by Bill Spohn » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:58 pm

Notes from a Southern hemisphere dinner.

Colmant Cap Classique Brut Reserve – a nonvintage bubbly from Franschhoek in South Africa, this wine showed some nice fruit in the nose, and was crisp medium long and had excellent balance. Kicks ass compared to just about any Cava I’ve tasted. This is their top wine, 52/48 pinot/chard, and 28 months on the lees for complexity. Good show.

With smoked salmon tartare in calamari rings:

2006 Grosset Polish Hill Riesling – for my money the best Aussie Riesling hands down – classic nose, elegant middle and long clean balanced finish.

With crab mornay:

2006 Eben Sadie Paladius – this white wine is made up of just about every varietal you can think of - Chenin Blanc, Viognier and Grenache Blanc mostly. Faint tropical notes to the fruit, with excellent full body in the mouth an almost viscous feel, and bright finish. Now if it were only a bit cheaper….

With ostrich carpaccio:

2000 Morgenhof Estate – a Bordeaux blend and now mature, this wine had a ripe sweet nose with cassis, lots of soft tannins present, and a slightly warm finish. Very decent.

2000 Vergelegen – this estate wine (now labelled as Vergelegen V) is a cabernet wine that shows good cedar in the nose along with dark fruit and an earthy note. It was mellow and sweet in the mouth and finished with excellent acidity. My preference of the two.

With lamb medallions:

1992 Wolf Blass Black Label Cabernet Shiraz – their top wine is finally come around. Always expensive ($70 then, now sells for abut $150 for this vintage) the wine showed a ton of American oak – dill and some great fruit, eucalyptus and anise, sweet, soft and ready in the mouth and with good balance. Why don’t they make Aussie wines like this any more?

1997 Eileen Hardy Shiraz – less wood showing here, but good fruit based nose not too ripe, round and almost elegant in the mouth, sweet, and with a nice following sweetness at the end of the long finish. Still in good shape.

With cheese:

2005 Ken Forrester ‘T’ Noble Late Harvest – a Stellenbosch Chenin with significant botrytis, this was a balanced wine, not too sweet and certainly not cloying. Citrus nose, and sweet vanilla dominated. Nice.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: Grosset Sadie Wolf Blass Hardy Vergelegen

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:24 pm

Lovely, Grosset is top of the line imo.

Bill, have you come across Mullineux, from S Africa, in BC yet? No connection.

http://mullineuxwines.com/
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:28 pm

They are in ON and AB, but not in BC yet. Are they worthy wines?
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:47 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:
2006 Grosset Polish Hill Riesling – for my money the best Aussie Riesling hands down – classic nose, elegant middle and long clean balanced finish.

Yeah, I wish I could get some Grosset here. Excellent Riesling. I've found that Germany doesn't import much Riesling (outside of Austria and Alsace I guess.)

Cheers,
Bill
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:59 pm

Bill Hooper wrote:Yeah, I wish I could get some Grosset here. Excellent Riesling. I've found that Germany doesn't import much Riesling (outside of Austria and Alsace I guess.)

Cheers,
Bill

Two reasons - 'coals to Newcastle' and the fact that domestic white wine consumption in Germany is actually pretty low anyway.
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:02 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:
Bill Hooper wrote:Yeah, I wish I could get some Grosset here. Excellent Riesling. I've found that Germany doesn't import much Riesling (outside of Austria and Alsace I guess.)

Cheers,
Bill

Two reasons - 'coals to Newcastle' and the fact that domestic white wine consumption in Germany is actually pretty low anyway.

Yeah, I agree with coal to Newcastle but consumption according to the Deutsches Weininstitut is:

Domestic (German) 51% white, 39% red, 10% rose.

Cheers,
Bill
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:13 pm

That doesn't really address the question though Bill.

Germans consume an average of 26 litres of wine a year, lower than any other continental European country except the Netherlands, as against 119 litres per person of beer.

Just for fun the numbers for:

Canada: 10/70

USA: 7/85

Conclusion - US and Germany drink a LOT of beer, and Germans just drinks a lot period!
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:31 pm

Bill,

Don't blame me. I've been doing my part to get that liter of wine/per capita number higher. I just can't keep up with the French and Italians not to mention Lux.

Cheers,
Bill
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:49 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:That doesn't really address the question though Bill.

Germans consume an average of 26 litres of wine a year, lower than any other continental European country except the Netherlands, as against 119 litres per person of beer.

Just for fun the numbers for:

Canada: 10/70

USA: 7/85

Conclusion - US and Germany drink a LOT of beer, and Germans just drinks a lot period!

7 litres of wine a year here, eh? Well, I guess without my contribution, that number would closer to 6. :D

*hic* Mark Lipton