The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2000 Château de Fieuzal

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: 2000 Château de Fieuzal

by Saina » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:23 am

Long, long ago in my misspent youth, I bought wines I now don't particularily care to have. I had a bunch of, e.g. 2000 Bordeauxs which in subsequent tastings I have realised just aren't to my taste. Though I suppose I could have traded them away, for some reason I'm not all that into trading or selling wines, preferring instead to invite someone over who will appreciate them. So to test my hypothesis that warm vintages don't shut down or at least don't shut down as hard as cooler ones, we tested a couple 2000s recently (yes, both were open). In all fairness, though the Cantenac Brown was pretty nice, I'm glad to have two extra slots that I can fill with Rieslings. :)

• 2000 Château de Fieuzal - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan (11/21/2006)
    Quite a disappointment - not qualitatively but stylistically. I was expecting a young, earthy Graves. Instead I got waves of sweet, strawberryish fruit reminding me of a modern styled Margaux yet without the excessive oak (but there was plenty of oak here also). There is a touch of tobacco amidst the copious fruit to remind me where this is from, but frankly it is confected and just too sweet. The palate has fine tannins, adequate acidity for the year and will surely age well. The aftertaste was a bit shorter than desired and lacked freshness. For me at least, a victim of a too warm vintage.

Posted from CellarTracker

Cantenac Brown 2000 was is a previous thread.
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

Re: WTN: 2000 Château de Fieuzal

by JoePerry » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:35 am

You bought the wrong color! :shock:
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: WTN: 2000 Château de Fieuzal

by Saina » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:39 pm

JoePerry wrote:You bought the wrong color! :shock:

Yes. Never tried the white, though I've often tried to buy it. Besides, HRH Jancis spoke well of the red 2000 so I thought I'd give it a shot. Now on I'll give it a miss.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.