The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Three of interest

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

WTN: Three of interest

by Florida Jim » Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:55 am

2004 de Villaine, Rully Les Saint-Jacques:
While this is well-made, solid, chardonnay I can detect the faintest hints of oak, the fruit is too sweet for me and the texture is softer than I’d like. Absolutely, nothing wrong here, it’s just that I prefer the more mineral driven, very crisp Côte Chalonnaise, Les Clous from this producer. About $23, imported by Kermit Lynch; I’d not buy it again.

2004 Giacosa, Nebbiolo d’Alba:
Very light and thin when first opened, this almost immediately takes on weight, suppleness and layers of flavor in the glass; a young, lightweight, elegant nebbiolo that does not pretend to be Barbaresco nor should it – it is lovely, charming, life-affirming juice all on its own. About $25, imported by Leonardo Locascio; I’ll buy some more soon.

1994 Flowers, Pinot Noir Camp Meeting Ridge:
For years this was so tannic as to be unbalanced; now it has come to a mellower place; still too much sour oak for me but the wine beneath it shows the kind of quality that can be achieved on the Sonoma Coast – deep, pure, ripe and very complete. Not my style of wine-making but there’s no denying the quality of the fruit. About $55 on release; I’d not buy it again.
(Incidentally, this wine was made by Steve Kistler and is the same wine as the 1994 Kistler CMR.)

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Three of interest

by David M. Bueker » Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:18 am

Jim,

Your mention of the "sour oak" strikes a chord, as I have begun to ascribe bitter or sour flavors to many Cal Cabs that see excessive new oak (e.g. Les Pavots). Not pleasant at all.

I'll be on the lookout for Giacosa Nebbiolo.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Clint Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:39 am

Seattle, WA

Re: WTN: Three of interest

by Clint Hall » Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:57 pm

The Giacosa sounds like a winner. I suspect I'll have to pay a little more for it than $25, though. Winesearcher Pro lists it for from $29 to $45.
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

by Florida Jim » Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:57 am

Clint,
I have a really good discount wine store here; 'sorry you evidently don't.
BTW, the 2004 Nebbiolo d'Alba, Valmaggiore bottling from this house is also a terrific wine albeit, likely more expensive.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:07 pm

I think Garagiste recently sold the Giacosa, Clint. You might check their website.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Clint Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:39 am

Seattle, WA

by Clint Hall » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:13 am

Jenise wrote:I think Garagiste recently sold the Giacosa, Clint. You might check their website.

Yes, they did, Jenise. Thanks for the tip. I checked, but Tim replies that they are sold out.