The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:01 pm

Atchison, KS

WTN: My first Virginian and two Italians

by Ryan M » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:09 pm

Williamsburg Winery, Lord Botetourt Red, Virginia 2010
51% Petit Verdot, 20% Merlot, 16% Cab Franc, 13% Cab Sauv. Quite a nice nose of fresh blackberry, a whiff of cassis, sweet red plum, a hint of violets, sweet herbs and cedar, and tarry mineral, all with dark, rich, savory quality. Same notes on the palate. Full bodied, savory and a bit tarry, this is quite nice, similar to Bordeaux but with a touch of New World lushness. This is a very good effort. This could develop some nice mature notes over the next 5 years or so. A good value as well. 2.5 Stars [9/1/13]

Leone de Castris, Villa Santera, Primitivo di Manduria 2009
Cherry, black raspberry, blueberry, raisin, a hint of flowers, tobacco leaf, brown spices, all with hints of citrus and tomato. Big and lush, with the warmth of its alcohol showing through a bit, giving this a remarkably porty character, but with a vein of acidity providing balance. This is delicious stuff, and is actually food friendly as well. 3.5 Stars[8/24/13]

Valle Reale, Vigneto Vigne Nuove, Trebbiano d'Abruzzo 2011
Nice, fresh nose of orchard fruit and flowers. On the palate, blackberry, tart tangerine, and tart apple, but with creamy pear, a note of apricot toward the finish, a hint of herbs, and smokey mineral. Full bodied and palate penetrating upfront, then somewhat lighter after. This is remarkably complex and characterful. 3 Stars [9/7/13]
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:09 pm

Re: WTN: My first Virginian and two Italians

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:46 am

Did they walk into a bar?

Fooled me, thought this post was something else :lol: !!
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:52 pm

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:27 am

Interesting. I have not had anything from Williamsburg Winery since the 1995 vintage. They were a very inconsistent outfit back then, and not in the top tier. I have not been back to the Williamsburg area in a while, so no chance to retaste.
Talk less, smile more. Don't let them know what you're against or what you're for.
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 6:50 pm

by Brian Gilp » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:44 am

I visited Williamsburg Winery roughly 8 years ago and toured the vineyards with the manager at the time. They were doing a lot of planting at the time and I think it was to get away from purchased fruit which they felt was not consistent quality. I was not terrible impressed with what I tasted then but have had a lot worse in VA. I have wanted to revisit the wines to see if there was a noticeable improvement. Loved the visit and nice people so only hope for the best for them.