The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Oh what a night!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Oh what a night!

by David M. Bueker » Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:33 pm

Got together with Thor & Theresa Iverson to share a celebration for Laura's 40th birthday. I can only hope my 40th celebration (in 7 weeks) is so good. Thor & Theresa are gracious, generous and enjoyable hosts, and our revelry went on well into the morning hours (ok...Thor and I talked-and I dozed-until the morning hours, the wives were more sensible).

We opened with a Pierre Moncuit Champagne Blanc de Blancs that was racy and precise, really waking up the tastebuds with richer flavors than would be expected from silly old Chardonnay with bubbles.

Theresa made a bacon and onion flammenkuchen that was utterly delicious (and consumed way too quickly) which was paired with a 1997 Rolly Gassmann Auxerrois and 1995 Egon Muller Riesling Scharzhofberger Kabinett AP#7. We had expected the two wines to be a nice pairing, but the Auxerrois showed lots of sweet pear, apple and citrus fruit while the Egon Muller was a totally dry creamed rockfest. Each wine was delicious on its own merits, but comparing them alternately made the Auxerrois flabby and the Riesling severe. I preferred the Riesling, but also had a second glass of the Auxerroiss.

I put together a dish of crab imperial for our second course, and we paired it with the last of the prior two wines, as well as Moet & Chandon Champagne Les Sarments d'Ay NV and 1995 Donnhoff Oberhauser Brucke Riesling Spatlese. The Champagne was all Pinot Noir, and fantastic. Red fruit, flowers and a meaty richness made this one of the best Champagnes I have ever tasted, and also much more of a wine than a Champagne. Laura and I had a conversation yesterday, the gist of which was that Champagnes like the Moet were her red wine substitute. The Donnhoff was nearly as dry as the Egon Muller, but carried more fruit and just the barest hint of residual sugar. Lovely, complex wine that worked well with the crab.

Continuing on, we needed some cheese, so Theresa whipped up some fondue (lots and lots of fondue), which we paired with some more of the prior wines (again) and a couple of contrasting reds. There was a 1993 Faively Gevrey Chambertin that smelled of leather, earth, herb and black fruit, but was mute on the palate. Thor decided to blind me on another red, and I worked through the reasoning to a Pinot from the southern part of California. Well it was a 2004 Loring Wine Company Brosseau Vineyard Pinot Noir that unfortunately went down like scotch whiskey. It did have some dark red fruit, but smelled and tasted very hot. I am a fan of Loring wines (exactly why Thor blinded me with this one), but did not like this example at all.

We then had a salad of simple greens (I needed that after the cheese fondue) and on to the dessert of Chocolate Almond Truffle Bars. Laura and I both love these "cookies" that consist of a flourless chocolate cake topped by almond butter cream icing. Yum!

Finally (for the sensible ladies) we moved to the last two wines, a 1963 Fonseca Vintage Port and the 1990 Trimbach Riesling Cuvee Frederich Emile Selection des Grains Nobles. It could not have been better. While I will not call the '63 the greatest Port I have tried (the '45 Taylor and '70 Dow were both better when I drank them), the '63 was the most seamless, supple and long-flavored Port I have tasted. Where it fell down just a tiny tick was on complexity. It was full of bright raspberry fruit (and not very sweet raspberry fruit at that), but did not have the layers of other flavors I would have expected. Still delicious just not life-changing. The Trimbach was fruity, stony, spicy, nearly dry and had a finish that was nearly as long as the Fonseca. Thank you Thor and Theresa for the opportunity to taste the SGN, as I came too late to the Trimbach game to get the '90 late-harvest wines. The '90 CFE VT and CFE SGN are two of the best Rieslings I have ever tasted.

So about that time the ladies went to bed. Thor and I stayed up to the wee hours of the AM, and had a few pours of 1992 Chateau Gloria which was deliciously herbal, earthy, red-fruity and much more satisfying than any 1992 had any right to be.

So off to bed I went, hitting the pillow at 4:15 AM. Later that day Laura and I went to a Champagne tasting, but that's another set of notes.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

Re: WTN: Oh what a night!

by Hoke » Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:48 pm

Got together with Thor & Theresa Iverson to share a celebration for Laura's 40th birthday. I can only hope my 40th celebration (in 7 weeks) is so good. Thor & Theresa are gracious, generous and enjoyable hosts, and our revelry went on well into the morning hours (ok...Thor and I talked-and I dozed-until the morning hours, the wives were more sensible).

Oh, good. I thought it was just me that made Theresa narcoleptic. Both times I've been there, she's dozed off while Thor and I sat up and discussed the problems of the world. Glad to here other people have that effect on her.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:53 pm

I would not say the women were narcoleptic, just smarter than Thor and me. They went to bed at 12:30 AM!
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:24 pm

That Moet Ay sure sounds yummy.

The later in the Champers tasting, was that the one at T&V?

Happy bday to Laura!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:11 pm

The Moet was paradigm changing, just like its Pinot Meunier brother in the "Trilogie des Grand Crus."

And yes, the Champagne event was Table & Vine at Delaney House.
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

by Florida Jim » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:47 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:The '90 CFE VT and CFE SGN are two of the best Rieslings I have ever tasted.

Agreed.
Many happy returns to Laura.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

by JoePerry » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:08 pm

Thanks for the notes, David!

Please convey my good wishes to Laura!
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:19 pm

Moncuit is my favorite not-too-hard-on-the-wallet Champagne.. both the NV and the vintage. I'm always running out of it...

Funny about you not liking the LWC... though when you said it went down like scotch, I thought at first you meant it in the good way!!!
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:31 am

Thanks folks! I will be sure to tell my wife how many friends she has here. :D
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:46 am

Happy birthday to your wife. Sorry I missed the opportunity of meeting the two of you last year.
no avatar
User

Peter Ruhrberg

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:03 pm

Germany

by Peter Ruhrberg » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:32 am

I do not think it is appropriate to open a 63 Fonseca for a 40th birthday of people not born in 1963. Your friend have no sense of justice... My congratulations to Laura, and I look forward to the report from your own party...

Speaking of Dönnhoff, I recently asked him about the 2006 harvest, and he smiled almost from ear to ear. Don't write that one off...

Peter
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:58 pm

David, Could you share the recipe for the Chocolate Almond Truffle Bars?
I just got through making about 60 German 'S' cookies flavored with mace (not what you spray in someone's face to fend off a mugger) and decorated with colored sugar and sprinkles. They disappeared quickly after church on Sunday.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:23 pm

JC,

The Chocolate Almond Truffle Bars are part of a book called "Death by Chocolate Cookies" by Marcel Desaulniers. They are basically a flourless chocolate cake with almond buttercream icing. I changed the recipe by omitting the almond crust (which is very dry and falls apart), and just bake the cake in its pan on parchment paper.

Peter,

You wouldn't happen to be a '63 would you? :wink:
no avatar
User

Nathan Smyth

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:20 am

by Nathan Smyth » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:27 pm

Florida Jim wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:The '90 CFE VT and CFE SGN are two of the best Rieslings I have ever tasted.

Agreed.

Acker doesn't seem to allow deep-linking to their individual lots, but if you go here:

http://www.ackerwines.com/onlineauctions/Search.cfm

and enter "1620" as the "LOT #", and click on the "SEARCH" button, then you'll see two bottles of the 1990 CFE SGN for sale; auction ends tonight at 8:00PM Eastern Time.

no avatar
User

MLawton

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:28 pm

by MLawton » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:48 pm

Late September back in 63?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:05 pm

At least someone finally connected the quote to the Fonseca
no avatar
User

Nathan Smyth

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:20 am

by Nathan Smyth » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:42 pm

Nathan Smyth wrote:
Florida Jim wrote:

Agreed.

Acker doesn't seem to allow deep-linking to their individual lots, but if you go here:

http://www.ackerwines.com/onlineauctions/Search.cfm

and enter "1620" as the "LOT #", and click on the "SEARCH" button, then you'll see two bottles of the 1990 CFE SGN for sale; auction ends tonight at 8:00PM Eastern Time.

Looks like they went for $100 a bottle [$200 total].

That doesn't seem like such a bad price [I'm assuming they're 750s, not 375s].

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:45 pm

I think Acker has an over 20% buyers premium, makes a bit less attractive.
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:36 am

Dale Williams wrote:I think Acker has an over 20% buyers premium, makes a bit less attractive.

At $240 the pair I would have jumped, but allowing for exchange rates, guaranteed exorbitant air conditioned freight, insurance, import duty, WET tax, unknown provenance and, without a doubt, a massive total bill, my enthusiasm for this marvellous wine would be severely curtailed.
Cheers,

David