The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

2001 Darting Ungsteiner Herrenberg Riesling Spatlese

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

2001 Darting Ungsteiner Herrenberg Riesling Spatlese

by JC (NC) » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:43 am

Pfalz, Germany
A.P. #5160 346 028 02
9% alcohol
I thought I had already posted this but didn't find it with a search. Please forgive if it's a duplicate.

Medium gold color. Honeysuckle nose. Pear and honey on the palate with some hints of marmalade. Brix beyond Spatlese level?
Seemed flat on Thanksgiving just after opening. Much more interesting five days later after being corked and refrigerated.
Leaves a lip-licking impression. With the relatively low alcohol it flows merrily down the stream (er, throat). One week after it was first opened I found more peach or nectarine notes than pear with the honey still present.
Purchased on sale at Macarthur's Beverages (Bassin's), Washington, DC. Might pair nicely with marzipan cookies or German 'S' cookies flavored with mace (which I recently made, decorated and took to church for after-service refreshments).
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: 2001 Darting Ungsteiner Herrenberg Riesling Spatlese

by Dale Williams » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:46 am

I know little of Pfalz wines, but tend to like Darting. But wines always taste a pradikat (or two!) heavier and sweeter to my palate which is more attuned to MSR wines. Thanks for notes.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Re: 2001 Darting Ungsteiner Herrenberg Riesling Spatlese

by JC (NC) » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:03 am

I too drink more M-S-R wines and like the acid level and sometimes austere qualities. I enjoy the occasional Rheingau but it seems more hit or miss with that region. After reading David's and others' notes on the 2005 German Rieslings I plan to make some purchases in DC mid-January. I might order them at sale prices now for later pickup.
(My introduction to Kurt Darting wines was with a glass of a Spatlese at Dan'l Webster Inn on Cape Cod. I have enjoyed various varietals from Darting since then.)