July Wine Focus ideas?

The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

July Wine Focus ideas?

Postby David M. Bueker » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:17 am

With US Independence Day and French Bastille Day we could cover a lot of ground. Just don't lose your head coming up with ideas. We don't need anything too revolutionary.
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.
David M. Bueker
Riesling Guru

Re: July a Wine Focus ideas?

Postby Carl Eppig » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:36 am

Recommend New World Riesling.
Carl Eppig
Our Maine man

Postby Joy Lindholm » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:41 pm

How about red, white, and blue wines? :lol:
Joy Lindholm
Ultra geek

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:46 pm

Que sera sera! Shiraz, Syrah, Sirah :D
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Postby Robin Garr » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:20 pm

Broaden it way out to the classic old "Summer sippers"? But then narrow it back down to "Interesting Summe Sippers"?
Robin Garr
Forum Janitor

Postby Robin Garr » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:21 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Broaden it way out to the classic old "Summer sippers"? But then narrow it back down to "Interesting Summe Sippers"?

"Interesting" would have to be in the eye, nose and taste buds of the individual, of course. But part of the shtick would have to be that you are expected to defend your pick? :oops:
Robin Garr
Forum Janitor

Postby JC (NC) » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:27 pm

How about French vs. New World same variety--a tasting note where you have say a Riesling from Alsace and a Riesling from USA, Canada or Australia and post the notes together, or a northern Rhone wine with Syrah and a New World Syrah or Shiraz and post both notes together? Or a French rose' wine and a New World rose'.
JC (NC)
Lifelong Learner

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:36 pm

northern Rhone wine with Syrah and a New World Syrah or Shiraz and post both notes together

Yeah, something like that will work.
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Postby Robin Garr » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:08 pm

JC (NC) wrote:How about French vs. New World same variety--a tasting note where you have say a Riesling from Alsace and a Riesling from USA, Canada or Australia and post the notes together, or a northern Rhone wine with Syrah and a New World Syrah or Shiraz and post both notes together? Or a French rose' wine and a New World rose'.

JC, I really like this idea as a discussion topic, but I'm concerned that requiring this level of execution - opening and writing up two wines, either simultaneously or successively - might be a barrier to entry for Wine Focus.

Could we perhaps try doing something like this as an ongoing thread instead? I love the concept but am not sure it works for Wine Focus.
Robin Garr
Forum Janitor

Postby Tim York » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:18 am

Robin Garr wrote:
JC (NC) wrote:How about French vs. New World same variety--a tasting note where you have say a Riesling from Alsace and a Riesling from USA, Canada or Australia and post the notes together, or a northern Rhone wine with Syrah and a New World Syrah or Shiraz and post both notes together? Or a French rose' wine and a New World rose'.

JC, I really like this idea as a discussion topic, but I'm concerned that requiring this level of execution - opening and writing up two wines, either simultaneously or successively - might be a barrier to entry for Wine Focus.

Could we perhaps try doing something like this as an ongoing thread instead? I love the concept but am not sure it works for Wine Focus.

I too think that this is a brilliant discussion topic; perhaps more suitable, though, for an Open Mike. If it were any of the "noble" grapes, I would do my best to participate even in this desert for "foreign" wines, especially those from the New World.
Tim York
Tim York
Wine guru

Re: July Wine Focus ideas?

Postby James Roscoe » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:28 am

I do not participate in Wine Focus generally, but let me suggest that this year's theme for MoCool in August is Meritage wines. You might get some additional posts if you added this to Wine Focus in July or August. The announcement on the MoCool Facebook page explained it thus
The 2014 theme is…

Meri Me!

winebottalbride.png

Meritage wines!

Come celebrate the marriage of at least 2 of the traditional Bordeaux grapes (polygamy is legal)

Say "I Do!" to MOCOOL 2014

The idea is to allow any wines with at least two of the five (six?) traditional red Bordeaux grapes or the three white grapes whether from Bordeaux or around the world.
.....we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth. A. Lincoln
James Roscoe
Chat Prince

Postby David M. Bueker » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:02 pm

Thanks James.

I think for July we are going to go with an adaptation of JC's idea, and an homage to both July 4 and July 14.

American wines with French influence & French wines with American influence

So think about winemakers (or...gasp...consultants) crossing the pond. Ownership (hey, an American company owns Jadot!) is also fair game. Partnerships (e.g. Opus One), etc.
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.
David M. Bueker
Riesling Guru

Postby Carl Eppig » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:56 am

Color me confused!
Carl Eppig
Our Maine man

Postby David M. Bueker » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:29 am

What's so confusing?
David M. Bueker
Riesling Guru

Postby Carl Eppig » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:12 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:What's so confusing?

When I buy a bottle of California wine how I my supposed to know if the winemaker was French, or if I buy a bottle of French wine how I my supposed to know if the owner was American? Or, am I supposed to research these things before I buy a bottle of wine?
Carl Eppig
Our Maine man

Postby David M. Bueker » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:37 pm

Ok. You could Google if you are interested in playing. There are also some well known cross-pond influences (e.g. Jadot that I mentioned, Domaine Drouhin, etc.). I'm not suggesting everyone go out and buy Opus One, but it's not that hard to find examples of cross polination.

Evening Land (Oregon) also makes wine from Burgundy.

How about any of the sparklers from the French ventures in California? Roederer Estate? Mumm Napa? Domaine Chandon?

The Chalone group has been controlled by the Rothchilds (Lafite), so anything from them would count. Diageo has since bought them out, but we'll let it stand.

See this link for a bunch of information (though it is a bit old): http://www.consulfrance-sanfrancisco.or ... article351
David M. Bueker
Riesling Guru

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:18 pm

Carl Eppig wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:What's so confusing?

When I buy a bottle of California wine how I my supposed to know if the winemaker was French, or if I buy a bottle of French wine how I my supposed to know if the owner was American? Or, am I supposed to research these things before I buy a bottle of wine?

Here here. Usually I buy in for some Wine Focus themes but this proposed subject needs way too much research so I am out :( .
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Postby David M. Bueker » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:40 pm

Tough luck guys...it's not actually hard. Not at all.

Maybe people would like it better if we took a month off???
David M. Bueker
Riesling Guru

Postby JC (NC) » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:38 pm

I'm up for opening a wine from Alex Gambal. He's an American negociant/eleveur in France and also owns a few small plots of land in Burgundy where he controls the grapes all the way through the process. Philippe Melka is a Frenchman with wines in Napa; Veronique Drouhin makes Pinot Noir in Oregon; Edmunds St. John, Lindquist, Pax Mahle at Wind Gap, etc. are said to make Rhone-type wines in California (would those count?)
JC (NC)
Lifelong Learner

Re: July Wine Focus: REBOOT

Postby Robin Garr » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:54 pm

Okay, everyone, calm down! :mrgreen:

Upon reflection, we're going to do something completely different. It will be arbitrary, but I think it will satisfy everyone. Watch for it tomorrow morning, July 1!
Robin Garr
Forum Janitor

Postby David M. Bueker » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:07 pm

Right Idea on the Gambal JC. Maybe we'll do an Open Mike for it since the concept appears a little bit complicated for WF.
David M. Bueker
Riesling Guru

Return to The Wine Forum