The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Getting Medieval

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:06 pm

WTN: Getting Medieval

by Bruce K » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:20 am

Bodegas Riojanas 2003 Rioja Medieval, $8.50
This has a modest nose of cherry accented by some herbs and spice. On the palate, there is more effusive bright cherry fruit with some light spice (yet it doesn’t seem woody) and some earth and herbs. Some tannins are present but overall it’s light-bodied and smooth with good acidity. It’s somewhat like a Beaujolais except the fruit is more cherry than strawberry. A delight and no evidence of the hot vintage whatsoever. Excellent match with garlic top/basil pesto and an almost equally fine match with a pretty hot veggie chili. Super value. Importer: Vintage Wines.

Cantine Sant’Agata 2004 Ruché di Castagnole Monferrato Il Cavaliere, $10
Restrained nose with some wild strawberry, white pepper, flowers and minerals. It’s more effusive on the palate with bright, delightful strawberry/cherry fruit accented by lots of white pepper and minerals and a little dusty earth. Light- to medium-bodied with bright acidity and very smooth texture. A vibrant, enjoyable wine, great value considering most other Ruchés I've seen cost around $20, and an excellent match with garlic top/basil pesto. Interestingly, this reminds me of the Domaine de Bellivière Rouge Gorge, which makes me wonder whether there could be any relation between Pineau d’Aunis and Ruché. Importer: Siema LLC.

Agribergidum Pieros 2001 Bierzo Mencia Crianza Consensus, $15
This has a mix of red and black cherry aromas and flavors accented by a fair amount of earth and a little spice. Some oak is evident but not much; it’s in the background and certainly less than most other Spanish reds. It has good acidity and while the tannins are still quite notable, they add to the structure and don’t interfere. Quite nice overall and an excellent match with black bean stew. Next day, it’s even better, richer and more textured, with more herbal and earthy notes.

Clos La Coutale 2001 Cahors, $11
My first ever Cahors. This has a subtle but pleasant nose of black fruits, herbs, dusty earth, a little tar and chocolate, and some minerals. On the palate, there is both red and black cherry fruit that’s quite vibrant, with some herbal, earthy, chocolate and mineral accents. It has plenty of tannins, but it's not the tannic monster I've been led to believe is often the case with Cahors under 10 years of age, and they don’t get in the way, especially with food. Very enjoyable wine, somewhat rustic but also somewhat smooth, and an excellent match with homemade pizza. Well worth getting again. Importer: Kermit Lynch.

Domaine Brusset 2001 Côtes du Rhône-Villages Cairanne Côteaux des Travers, $10
This has some mild black fruit, smoke and earth aromas with a little brett. On the palate, there are rich blue and black fruits with earth, smoke, herbs and some spice. Medium to big-bodied with some tannins and moderate acidity. Makes for a very fine match with take-out chicken shawarma from a Middle Eastern restaurant. Importer: Calvert-Woodley.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: Getting Medieval

by Rahsaan » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:30 am

Bruce K wrote:Clos La Coutale 2001 Cahors, $11
My first ever Cahors...but it's not the tannic monster I've been led to believe is often the case with Cahors under 10 years of age

Depends on the vintage, and also Coutale does include a decent/noticable amount of merlot, perhaps not as much as others, but then you would never mistake it for a 100% malbec wine (plus who knows what other winemaking practices come into play).
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:34 am

Interesting note there on the Cahors. Think we did a 2nd blind on the `99?

Isn`t Bill a fan of this one?
Last edited by Bob Parsons Alberta on Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

by Bruce K » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:37 am

Coutale does include a decent/noticable amount of merlot

Yes, actually, the label describes it as 80 pecent Malbec and 20 percent Merlot, so perhaps that does tame it a bit. And I have had Cots from the Loire that I thought were more tannic than this. Still, the Coutale didn't seem overly manipulated and I quite liked it.
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:16 pm

Bruce K wrote:Cantine Sant’Agata 2004 Ruché di Castagnole Monferrato Il Cavaliere, $10
Restrained nose with some wild strawberry, white pepper, flowers and minerals. It’s more effusive on the palate with bright, delightful strawberry/cherry fruit accented by lots of white pepper and minerals and a little dusty earth. Light- to medium-bodied with bright acidity and very smooth texture. A vibrant, enjoyable wine, great value considering most other Ruchés I've seen cost around $20, and an excellent match with garlic top/basil pesto. Interestingly, this reminds me of the Domaine de Bellivière Rouge Gorge, which makes me wonder whether there could be any relation between Pineau d’Aunis and Ruché. Importer: Siema LLC.

10-bucks? Was this on closeout? This is close to $20 here in NYS. I can see where you would make the pinot d'aunis connection, although I find ruche a bit more floral and flavored and the Rouge Gorge more restrained, perhaps bigger bodied.
no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

by Bruce K » Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:06 pm

10-bucks? Was this on closeout?

No idea. The weird thing is, I bought it on a lark in a deli that happens to sell wine -- and has a limited selection of largely overpriced bottles (this is in Montgomery County, Md., where all sellers of wine must buy from the county-owned monopoly). I had finished having lunch and was briefly browsing through the shelves on my way out, not expecting to find anything I'd want to get, when I saw this -- I had never had a Ruché before, liked the price and thought I'd give it a try. After I had my first bottle, I went back and scarfed up some others. Last time I was there to eat lunch, there were no more.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:26 am

Rahsaan wrote:
Bruce K wrote:Clos La Coutale 2001 Cahors, $11
My first ever Cahors...but it's not the tannic monster I've been led to believe is often the case with Cahors under 10 years of age

Depends on the vintage, and also Coutale does include a decent/noticable amount of merlot, perhaps not as much as others, but then you would never mistake it for a 100% malbec wine (plus who knows what other winemaking practices come into play).

As is the custom at this festive time, many stores have mini-tastings set up. Last night, one such store had the `04 Coutale open. "Tad young isn`t it" I asked the rep. "Ah well, its drinking nicely now" was his reply. Free pour, I`m not about to argue!!

Brief thoughts are deep purple, medium intense centre. On the palate, cherry, licorice, earthy. Tannins detract, fellow taster found plums and brambly. Way too young, one for the cellar.

**** thought to myself, if one is trying to promote/sell wine for the season, why on earth go with an astringent monster like this one?
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:53 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Last night, one such store had the `04 Coutale open. "Tad young isn`t it" I asked the rep. "Ah well, its drinking nicely now" was his reply. Free pour, I`m not about to argue!!

Sometimes these experiences can be so divergent you wonder if you're both referring to the same wine.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:38 pm

Rahsaan, funny thing is I shut him up after telling him I had the `99 still!!